Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people name their sabers?

Default Why do people name their sabers?

Why do you guys feel the need to name your sabers? Is it because it makes it more personal for you? Is is because of all the hard work you spend building it? Is it because everyone else does?

Personally I dont like to name my sabers, its just a tool correct? And a toy tool too! Would you name your hammer?

I know there is a long standing tradition to name their weapons, but i just dont understand it.

My first saber I built was given a name but it just seemed kind of silly so i dropped it.

The only time I really name sabers is when I am saving the image file, the it has to have some sort of name.

This is not meant to criticize anyone at all, its purely for discussion.
    -Sidd-

Well when I'm talking to others that know my collection (either on here, or family members) I need some way to differentiate between them.

So instead of "my randomsaber" I call it Ravaster

however, some sabers I will call just "My MHS", so for me its more about differentiating.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I've named every single computer I've ever owned. I know many people who name their cars. Any piece of equipment that is complex enough to develop quirks or a "personality" can deserve a name.

I don't know that any of the lightsabers in the movies had official names of their own, but I could easily imagine a jedi giving a name to their most personal possession.

For our more "productive" saber makers, I couldn't imagine trying to keep track of their various models without using names. "OB-1 Variant 007" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Victorious" or "Quicksilver". It does add a personal feel to each saber, and sometimes describes traits you discover during the crafting process. (See Shadar's "Agony" for more details)

Coming up with a good name can sometimes be as difficult as the actual construction of your saber/computer/etc, and other times it practically names itself.

There can be several reasons why a person names a saber they choose to keep. The reason could be different for each individual. It could just be a thing that some think is cool to do.

For a person selling a saber, it is probably often done for marketing purposes. Heck, until I made around my 30th saber, mine were all named "Saber 1, Saber 2, Saber 22, etc and the only reason I named the first one that I named, was because the person who I was making the saber for wanted it named. I have decided to name them all from here on out but may use the numbering scheme in the future... for nostalgia's sake, lol. Anywho, there's my reason for naming sabers.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I don't know that any of the lightsabers in the movies had official names of their own, but I could easily imagine a jedi giving a name to their most personal possession.
    The Jedi of the Old Republic did not actually even own their sabers, the Jedi Temple did. Upon a Jedi's death the saber was to be retrieved if possible and returned to the Temple. Jedi literally only owned the clothes on their backs. They had no homes other than the temple, no ships, no possessions at all. This was part of the Jedi Code.

I am not trying to correct anyone just share knowledge and insight.

As far as naming a computer, that is necessary for it to function on a TCP/IP based network.
    -Sidd-

You mean the old republic as in before the Empire, or the old republic as in waaaay back like in TOR timeline?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    You mean the old republic as in before the Empire, or the old republic as in waaaay back like in TOR timeline?
    As in up till Order 66, everything kind of went to pot after that
    -Sidd-

Council Member
    Jedi Master

naming them serves multiple purposes.

for me, each of my sabers is a work of art. a sculpture of a theme. I don't know to many artists that just call it "painting" or "hunk o stone"

about 90% of the sabers I've made started with the name, then were designed to represent that theme.

I name mine to evoke a certain image consistent with what *I* had in mind when I created it.

Then, folks can provide feedback towards whether I hit the self-professed *target* on that saber.

I named both my kids, and both of my dogs. Helps me keep track of them, and allows other people to reference them in a consistent manner.

Tomb Blade: ancient weapon found in a crypt, probably Sith
    Cleopatra: sleek "Egyptian" themed saber, for a female sith, rarely used
    Wormwood: FormIII straight 1H hilt for a sith with various force abilities causing sickness, disease and despair.

Better, in my opinion, than "LONG HILT hardware saber, short hilt hardware saber and MHS-based black saber"

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Quote Originally Posted by ArkaiHalon View Post
    naming them serves multiple purposes.

for me, each of my sabers is a work of art. a sculpture of a theme. I don't know to many artists that just call it "painting" or "hunk o stone"

about 90% of the sabers I've made started with the name, then were designed to represent that theme.
    I agree with most of this, the only thing i would add is that sometimes a name comes after the initial design, sort of like you name a puppy after bringing it home...

I personally like to have something to call it, for differentiation and for personality.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~