Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightsaber Trigger

Default Lightsaber Trigger

I've been playing with the idea of using a blaster/gun style trigger as the activation switch for a couple lightsaber designs I have, the main reason being there isn't really a good place for an activation button or clamp box. But I'm having trouble designing/picturing it in a way that doesn't look like it's just half a gun slapped on a stick. Any ideas?

instead of a trigger you might want to try a rocker switch? Same basic concept.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Well the idea is sort of a gunslinger like jedi. The saber itself is more sculpted than machined. Plus the goal was to be able to do gun-like tricks and spins, so it needs a trigger guard too.

I had played with this idea a few months ago and I looked to Final Fantasy VIII's gun-blade for inspiration. (I would recommend a longer handle than what would normally be on a pistol) but actually fabricating one would be difficult to do unless you have a lot of expensive gizmos, and a lot of creativity. I'll post pics of the gun-blade when I'm not using my phone.

As for parts you might want to disassemble an airsoft gun. But I imagine it would still be difficult to get them working as a way to actually activate the lightsaber.
    Last edited by Tahm; 09-10-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

you can use any trigger you see fit.. mount a button/switch behind it using a plunger/stem to activate it..

much like many do here when making blaster props..

xwing had a plan along those lines years ago, dont know if he ever got it done, but the plan was to free form it out of fiberglass, just an idea

I too have thought about making gunslinger-ish sabers with a trigger and guard. However if and when I do this, I will just used a curved piece of pipe/tubing and machine my own guard and trigger myself.

If you decide to go with curved pipe/tubing, you could use a pipe bender to bend aluminum tubing. You can get them for under $150... or you could have the pipe bent at a muffler shop... or you could buy a Rainbow vacuum lower wand off of ebay and use that. Jonitus/JudgeSabersmith made an awesome curved hilt form a Rainbow lower wand. Just some suggestions.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    you can use any trigger you see fit.. mount a button/switch behind it using a plunger/stem to activate it..

much like many do here when making blaster props..
    That's a great idea for making it activate. I hadn't planned on actually adding electronics to it, because I couldn't picture an activation method, but that works.
    As for the curve, I'm trying to keep it straight because i have an idea for a sculpted grip style that works better on a straight tube. But I think it might be a good idea for it's dark counterpart, I haven't thought that far about the "evil twin" version yet.

When I saw this picture on the star wars home page i thought of this thread.

Who is going to build them?

very cool pic of the lightsaber with trigger mechanism .....was looking into doing one similiar ...now will have to do this instead ...cool find