Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MandoJoe's Budget PVC/Copper Saber build

Sure, Seth. I'm gonna try and dig out my camera/cable tonight and take some starter pics.....just set an alarm on my cellphone to remind me, since I'm a forgetful kinda guy.

I thought about it, and I'm for sure not going to be able to assemble until tomorrow night. I live just outside Houston, and we've got 100% humidity here pretty much year round. I'm gonna have to swing back by work tonight to spray my PVC parts and leave them to dry in my apartment overnight.

I aged my copper with a vinegar salt solution today. Got a the small window roughed up a little more. Definitely gonna have a small scrap of circuit from a gutted cell phone inside for that battle damaged look. Gonna do some carbon scoring around the window as well.

Also, in lieu of any real photographic awesomeness, here's my design for the saber. This is all, obviously, not to scale, and not the best art work, but I'm an MS Paint kinda guy at heart, and so this is what you get.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MandoJoe; 09-12-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Adding pictures, updating

I get what you mean, now

Yeah, I tried painting when it was really humid a couple weeks ago and it just bubbled the crap out of the paint.

Wow. This concept surely did bite me in the shebse. Originally, I liked the idea of a worn saber, and then, of course, I had to go and get a bright idea.

I though, "Hmmm. Jedi on the run after Order 66. Making a new lightsaber out of whatever he's got around, and using tools that might not be the precision items that he wants. I like it!"

Of course, I got home last night after buying the rest of my parts (some of which aren't what I wanted, but were all I could get) and began setting about prepping my pieces for assembly. Don't worry, pics are forthcoming, but my camera eats batteries, so it's slow going.

Got home and started drilling out my copper tube for my threaded insert/set screw. Pulled out my actual drill, and lo and behold, it's got the wrong bit in there. No big deal, I'll just switch it out. Started looking around, and my drill chuck was missing. Started looking for my toolbag, and it's nowhere to be found. I left it at my in-law's place last time I was there. Dang....

So I started working with what tools I did have. After several hours of fighting and swearing, I managed to get my holes drilled, and my pieces dremeled (mostly). I should have pics up some time tonight.

Good thing you weren't a Jedi on the run after Order 66 and you forgot your tools LOL

Okay, so I've got the saber built, and lots of pics taken, but I can't find my stupid camera cable to upload the pictures. I promise they're forthcoming, I just have to find that stupid cord.....