Thread: Noob Swith Help 1st Saber

Default Noob Switch Help 1st Saber

I have just discovered this amazing hobby only a couple of days ago. I have already designed my saber and just want the first one to only light up, no fancy soundboard or anything yet. I have a very basic stupid question but I still am unable to find the answer. When ordering my first hilt should I get the handle with or without a guarded switch hole, I prefer the look of a guarded switch better but I then come to the question as if I should get a momentary or latching switch. Will either switch work for just the Lexeon Kit? I'm sorry if this is redundant but I have tried to find the answer for the past couple hours and can't find a the answer to this basic question. I dont need a soundboard yet but hopefully may install one in the future, if so which switch should I buy to start (I know that each soundboard is different by I was looking at one of the cheapos from walmart). I am going to buy the Luxeon III Electronics Kit. Any help would greatly be appreciated, I'm sorry for my noobish question. Thanks again for your time.

Thanks,
    Zack
    Last edited by WickedWharf; 09-02-2010 at 08:41 PM.

if you are getting the kit it comes with a latching switch thats the one you will need for the basic led lightsaber

here are links to the led tutorials on doing this with buckpuck or resistor

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=8537

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=8536

Thank you very much for that information. Does the Lighted DPDT switch and the Mom latch switch in the Luxeon kit fit a guarded or standard hole (I know that the DPDT switch needs the bezel)? Also is the Buckpuck 1000ma 4 wire the correct buckpuck for a cyan luxeon III LED? I'm sorry for all these questions, I just can't find one clear answer. Thanks you for your time.
    Last edited by WickedWharf; 09-02-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Prevention of double posting

standard switch hole is used with the switches in the kit because the nut is on the outside of the kit guarded style is for switches with the nut inside of the hilt .....the kits dont come with lighted dpdt switches ....yes the buckpuck is used for the lux 3 and p4...hope this helps

Thank you so much!!! You have helped me out so much!!! Thank you thank you thank you

latching switches are so when you push them once they latch down and stay turned on, until you press them and unlatch them that is. a momentary switch is so that if you want it to light up you have to press it and hold it down as long as you want it turned on, so they light up only when the button is held.

you can use either for a stunt saber (no sound) and its just preference, but when you do sound you will need a momentary.

when momentary switches are used with soundboards they make the momentary work just like latching switches. because a circuit is turned on when you press them down once which activates the rest of the board. the circuit with the switch pushes some current through it which activates a transistor that allows current to pass through the rest of the board.

hope that helps!
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Unless of course you're using a MR board. For that you'd be needing a latching switch.

Yes you guys are extremely helpful. Thank you all so much!