Thread: Smaller LED Stars?

Default Smaller LED Stars?

I have been looking around and while I have no doubt the answer is here somewhere, I just can't find it.

What do people use in LED sabers if they don't have room for the normal size star? The Saber is going to have a 3/4" blade and that is about what i am limited to. I have found plenty of builds with 3/4" blades but I haven't seen what people are using for the LED.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Forcestruck View Post
    I have been looking around and while I have no doubt the answer is here somewhere, I just can't find it.

What do people use in LED sabers if they don't have room for the normal size star? The Saber is going to have a 3/4" blade and that is about what i am limited to. I have found plenty of builds with 3/4" blades but I haven't seen what people are using for the LED.

Thanks in advance!
    most high power LEDs you buy can be put directly on any heat-sink to work normally and solder leads directly to the LED leads. for my stunt saber i did just that. i got a metal slug i made myself and drilled a few holes. and got a P4 that didn't have a star. and just applied a little thermal paste and used some super glue around the sides. soldered wires right on the LED leads and works like a charm
    ---------------------------------------------------
    best blaster refracting emitter... 450 Imperial Credits
    custom quadrinineum crystal... 1020 Imperial Credits
    droxsus catheum power cell... 400 Imperial Credits

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

In a "one LED to light the blade" setup, the outside diameter of the blade has nothing to do with the size of the main LED being used to light it. However the inside diameter of the bottom 5/8" (or so) of the blade holder or the inside diameter of the handle part of the saber, does.

If your saber has a 1.25" I.D. like most do, you can use the same size star PCB LEDs that are sold in the TCSS store. Those same LEDs will also work in a 7/8" I.D. hilt. but that's pushing it to it size limit.
    Last edited by ARKM; 10-06-2010 at 04:03 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

In some of the Parks conversions and Korbanth run sabers the ID is just a shade over 3/4". I've done what Danz is saying: slug of metal with LED on top. Works pretty well. A good alternative is to chop the "bump" off an MHS Copper heatsink, and squeeze that into a half inch of 3/4" thin-wall blade stock.

Luxeon and some other distributors offer Rebels either unmounted or on 10mm square PCB. Additionally, they made 6 degree polymer optics (5/8" hexagon) specifically for those 10mm pcbs. Luxeon does not offer these anymore, but if you look hard enough, you might find some distribotors that still have some.