Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Safety foam lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Xanthus View Post
    We have a split eyebrow as our worst injury. We fight hard.

I like the thought of this. I also look to testing the led string to failure as I now have an extra makoto blade.

I need some of this foam.
    hehe when you hand a saber to some kids, your in a duel for your life!! Seriously they will take you down, no hesitation!! kids (the true sith warriors)

Had one at CV wacking at me with one of the collapsing cone blade ones.

The only way to stop him shy of grabbing it would have been to actually hit him with mine, but that is not the image we really need to promote in the hobby.

Glad he was a little one or it may have hurt.

BTW added pic of the split eyebrow back in the post.

(Oh, the mobile devices 1/2 the issue is no mouse and only a touch screen. Copy and paste are not as easy there either.)

Something something something dark side,
    something something something complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jedimastergarcia87 View Post
    I like the safety foam idea. o-o I think the foam also brings the light out more. Where can I buy this kind of foam?
    My friends and I used to get foam like this at Home Depot, We used it for boffing, and once my saber is finished, I'm planning on getting some foam for it.
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    My friends and I used to get foam like this at Home Depot, We used it for boffing, and once my saber is finished, I'm planning on getting some foam for it.
    It was white?!? I couldn't find it anywhere. Link maybe?
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

It's been several years, but it was always hit and miss. Sometimes it was white, but sometimes gray or black. At the time, it didn't matter as we covered it in duct tape, but I never used the web. I just checked my local hardware stores. Living in Seattle, it's easy enough to go to several until I find the right kind, so I don't know how well this strategy will work in a more rural or less metropolitan area.
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

I bought a few swimming noodles from walmart. They only have yellow, green, and blue. They have some thin ones (although still a little fatter than what I would prefer for for a blade cover). It fits very tightly on the one inch blades. A white led shows the color pretty good. I even got my wife to duel with me because it doesn't hurt
    I am still searching for a good, thinner white foam (or similar material that can let light through and have some protection).

7/1/2011- Update: The yellow swim noodle transfers light the best. A Red led comes through as red. A White comes through as a nice yellow. Makes dueling fun, and you can hit each other very hard with no injuries. I would suggest leaving an extra 2 inches at the top so jabs do not bruise your partner. Be sure to remove your inner diffuser if you can. The foam will be your diffuser. These fit tightly and my take a few minutes to get on.
    Last edited by Manbeyond; 07-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Give up T.V. and pick up a Lightsaber. Exchange your donuts for cheerios, and don't forget to live before you die.

Hello where you find this kind of foam? I dont find it anywhere...I just find black or gray. Please help me!

I would try all local hardware stores, Amazon, or McMaster-Carr. This type of foam is typically used for pipe insulation, so it will most likely be located in the plumbing section. If you can't find it locally, try a search for "closed-cell foam". Searching specifically for pipe insulation will get you to tubular stuff, but you may still have luck with other search parameters.

Failing that, try LARP or boffer websites. Most of these people have had to make their own foam weaponry, thus will have the information you need. I have to believe that at least one of them will have a lead on a specific color.

As was mentioned, protecting the tip is advised to avoid jabbing injuries. I would try to get a solid "bar" of the same material and color, about the same size as the hole in the blade cover, and seal it in there with a bit of glue. Having a solid tip will resist and cushion impact far greater than just leaving an extra couple of inches of hollow tube on the end. You may also want to secure the blade cover by some semi-permanent means, like double-sided tape. At $30 per, this can seem expensive, but believe me when I say it's nothing by comparison to a hospital bill. I'd sacrifice at least one "dueling" blade with a permanent foam cover just for training purposes.

With all that said, I'm pretty surprised these don't dim the light too much. I would never have thought of it, because of the importance the community places on brightness. Just one more example of how a single epiphany can change the way things are done.

A very cool concept indeed.

Also, what material did you use for the diffuser inside the blade?