Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RGB dial?

Default RGB dial?

I have no experience with RGB LEDs, But heres and idea thats probably already been entertained or dismissed as impossible or extremely difficult, but just to check (found nothing with the search bar).

Is this possible? the idea is that when the dial is between red and blue its purple and as it goes further in a direction the shade changes depending on the direction.

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

That is not how a buckpuck works. Your pot would have to be a rotary style switch. Someone else might have an idea on what type you could use.
    I am working on a 3 knob RGB but having trouble finding the pots I want to use.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

i know, it's just added there for the sake of it

TCSS Resident Annoyance

The buckpuck would work before the pot, if you find the right pot to use. Good luck.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You also have to have both the positive and negative battery output going to the buck puck. Looking at the pic of one in the Store would have told you that.

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

wouldnt you need 3 pots?

so you turn/turn in each individual color? (LED DIE)?

the only other way I can think of to do that would be to have a driving or micro controller with some code to do as you 'want' (ie: custom programmed more or less)

I think TroyO posted a vid similar to this.. although his may be clicking through a single button.. I dont see why it couldnt be converted to using a button that is HELD down that shifts through the colors..

more in a linear fashion

I think he used the Arduino and some basic button code for it.. (plus a 3-4 LED/die driver board)

Color changing sabers have been done before... several times... with rotary switches that have numbered positions. Posts of these type of builds can be found here and at FX-Sabers, you just got to do some diggin'.

Mind you it's rotate one position, "this color", rotate another position, "that color", rinse and repeat. You can get quite a few colors from an 8 position rotary switch. If some colors need tweaking to be the way you like them, put a pot on some of them and adjust to taste and then leave it alone forever.

If you want a more analog/gradual approach to the color changing for several colors using only one knob/switch, well... best of luck.
    Last edited by ARKM; 09-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

right..it would need to be digitially controlled..

like through an Arduino or RFX chip where you can gradually use 3 separate PWM I/O pins to control each of the DIES..

like this..done through 'code'..

http://www.youtube.com/user/TroyOllo.../0/YowVHboU-oQ

we had talked abotu several ways to approach it.. my way just differes a bit..

as I pick the MAIN color..then let you tweak the shade..etc

Also as stated a 'static' (jump to color) saber has been done before.. actually Lord Maul here has done one and posted some wiring diagrams using an rotary siwtch I believe.

i left out the potentiometers for the sake of keeping it simple but yeah, those are advisable
    Thanks for the info, maybe after i learn abit more i can look into this.

TCSS Resident Annoyance

I had a similar idea to this for my Apple iSaber. Basically using the button setup from an iPod Shuffle with the Play/Pause button being on/off (maybe relpace the play/pause logo with a power logo) and using the fast forward/rewind buttons to shuffle through colors. I couldn't think of anything to do with the volume buttons though. Any ideas?