Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electrostaff

Default Electrostaff

Hey everyone, just finished my initial electrostaff(In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the staffs that Grievous's guards used against Obi-Wan and Anakin in Episode III). I just have some cosmetic additions to do. I used TCSS blade holders and sink tubes for the ends. The blade holders are attached onto an aluminum tube that the same diameter as the LED blades. The PVC pipe section in the center helps hold the two halves of the staff together and the staff can be broken down for easy storage/transport. Maybe next I'll do a magna guard costume to go with this thing.

OFF

ON

Close up of one of the ends

Sequencer

I'm not digging the big sequencer box but overall it's a good start on an electrostaff.
    Last edited by ARKM; 09-01-2010 at 01:31 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Interesting concept. The EL wire looks cool.

I assume that the EL wire flashes, since you have it hooked up to a sequencer.

I hope the "cosmetic additions" have to do with hiding the sequencer and wires. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it looks kind of tacky duct taped to the tube like it is.

Too bad it doesn't have sound.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I'm bringing this thing with me to Dragon*Con, so if you are going too you may see me

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    I'm not digging the big sequencer box but overall it's a good start on an electrostaff.
    Me neither but this was the best one I could find(and I looked for a WHILE).

I came up with this idea back in 2006, if you search "electrostaff" you can actually see a post I made back then talking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vamphunterx
    It's good to hear there will be alot of you going to Dragon*Con. I'm planning on doing alot of costuming, like usual. As far as SW stuff goes I hopefully will have a Sith Lord costume done with some vibroblades and maybe a dark Jedi with an electrostaff, and other than that I'm doing stuff like Cloud Strife(FF7 Advent Children), Sol Badguy(Guilty Gear), Bankai form Ichigo(Bleach), Wolverine(Ultimate X-Men), and Dante(Devil May Cry 3).
    In case you couldn't tell, I'm a cosplayer. And this post reminds me that I never made those vibroblades either lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen
    Too bad it doesn't have sound.
    Well I remember hearing electrostaff or electric sounds on the Crystal Focus, so maybe I could look into that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen
    I assume that the EL wire flashes, since you have it hooked up to a sequencer.
    Yes it does, later I may post a video
    Last edited by vamphunterx; 09-01-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, I believe that Novastar did an electrostaff type sound font.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Youngling

Is there a way to take apart the box and house it in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOK View Post
    Is there a way to take apart the box and house it in the tube.
    I haven't tried it yet, after the con I'll see if I can take a look inside the sequencer. Maybe I can take the sequencer parts and put 'em in a tube to find inside the electrostaff.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm not sure how the battery(s) are situated inside the case but looking at it, I kind of doubt that the board is going to be small enough to fit inside that tube. There's going to be a large transformer on the inverter part of the circuit, too.
    TCSS MODERATOR

I rather like it!

If you can house the controls and batteries inside the tube, it would be perfect! I think you're on to something here. Perhaps some more experimentation is in order.

Keep us posted!
    Follow Your Bliss

Wink Awesome !

I cant wait to see what you do with it !!!
    I real like the way the el wire looks !
    Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

—Darth Bane, Dark Lord of the Sith