Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to wire an RGB?

Default How to wire an RGB?

Hey all,

I've been out of the hobby so long! I'm in the process of planning a new saber build. I was going through some things the other day and saw that I had a brand new Luxdrive endor RGB led. I've had moderate experience in wiring my other sabers but never an RGB. I would like to know how hard it would be to wire it. I apologize but I've done research and I can't find any basic info on this without extras. Visual aids would be perfect. What switch would work best with it? Also I have a left over MR soundboard, not sure if it'll work with it.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There is information about RGB LEDs here. Unfortunately, you can't search for it, it doesn't work, the term is too short.

So you'll have to search manually.

Start by scrolling down this very subforum.

Good luck with your search.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

You can try searching for "RGBA" "RGGB" "multi-color" "color-changing" etc.
    There's always a bigger fish.

IIRC The endor isn't good at all for a saber RGB solution. The LEDs are too far apart to use any optics for sabers.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    There is information about RGB LEDs here. Unfortunately, you can't search for it, it doesn't work, the term is too short.

So you'll have to search manually.

Start by scrolling down this very subforum.

Good luck with your search.
    actually most search engines allow the use of a 'wild card' the " * " (asterisk) to support 3 charter of shorter search terms.

such as RGB* for example.. should work just fine.
    Last edited by xl97; 09-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    actually most search engines allow the use of a 'wild card' the " * " (asterisk) to support 3 charter of shorter search terms.

such as RGB* for example.. should work just fine.
    Argh!! And all this time I was thinking the "*" could only represent a letter or number, not a space or punctuation. Thanks, xl97, for the education.
    There's always a bigger fish.

no problem..

its a universal 'tip/trick'..

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...

A lot of what I found however were people trying to wire an RGB with dedicated switches for each led.

I'm working on a new saber design and I want it to be purple, I don't need to be switching through different colors. After some research I've seen some pretty good results using a p4 with color filters. I know the blade will always be brighter with a color specific led too.

What's the best way to get purple? Or should I just go with color filters the first time around?

Banned Sith Lord

depends on your set up. but i would get a LEDengin 10 watt RGBA and wire the red and blue dies for purple.

If you don't have room for a 10w or the cash. I've gotten pretty good results with the much cheaper 3W. The obviously aren't as bright as the 10W but they are brighter and more heavily saturated than a filtered P4. You usual have to play with resistoring the red to get a true purple but it's worth it.
    You can also use a very light filter on the RGB to achieve some very unique purple effects, and it also seems to help smooth the color mixing. I just used the filter method on my daughters saber, and I was really happy with the results. Also with a very pale colored philter, I saw almost no loss of brightness.

J.M.T
    Last edited by Jedi Master Taka; 09-01-2010 at 06:54 PM.