Thread: Re-Chroming an Obi Wan (TPM)?

Default Re-Chroming an Obi Wan (TPM)?

I recently did a P4 conversion on an Obi Wan (TPM) using Lord Dottore Matto's tutorial. (Absolutely great tutorial by the way Lord Dottore Matto. Thanks ton's for taking the time to to make and post it.) While performing the conversion, I got a few minor scrapes on the crown of the saber. I should have just jotted them up to the character of the saber, and let them be... But instead, I tried to polish them out. Basically, I've effectively stripped the chrome off the crown and left it with bare aluminum. Honestly, it doesn't look horrible, and if the whole saber was done that way it might actually look pretty good but it wasn't the look I was going for by a long shot.
    What I was wondering is this. Is it possible to have the crown re-chromed and were would I go to have it done? I've been looking at some car and cycle shops that do chroming and a few places that do metal plating, but I'm not sure what would work best or who to approach about the project. Any suggestions or information you could lend me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it possible to break the Obi TPM down beyond what is required for the conversion? I mean can you separate the main body from the black grip cutouts and the inner body? Looking at it while I had it apart it looked pretty solid but I could have missed something. I was thinking that if they could be separated, I might just sand all the silver down, or get it all plated once I figure out if it's indeed possible.

Thanks in advance for your help,

JMT

Send the part in to a chrome shop. Or bring it to a local chrome shop.

When you say a chrome shop, are we talking about a place that chromes car engines or what? If I had an idea of the most likely places that could do it, I could start calling around on Monday to get prices.

I also need to know if the saber will break down beyond its conversion disassemble. If I am going to get it re chromed, I would like it all to match. Who knows, if i find a place that can do it and they have the option, I might even get it plated in gold or something. I don't mind it being different in than the original, I just cant take the half weathered look. Even if I could just get of the grip cut outs and sand it all down to raw aluminum, it would be a vast improvement.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you don't want to send it in to get chromed try getting some simichrome polish. It will shine aluminum to a chrome like finish.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

May not be the best option, but aluminium duct tape, the real duct tape lol. Perhaps look into that as it may work and be cheaper then re chroming. Just my two cents.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    If you don't want to send it in to get chromed try getting some simichrome polish. It will shine aluminum to a chrome like finish.
    I don't mind sending it in, or taking it in depending on were I find can do it. However I might give the simichrome polish a shot 1st. Even if it doesn't get the chromed look back on my obi from what I looked up on line, it would give a nice shine to all my MHS projects. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doesn't Rustloeum (sp?) have a chrome spray paint?

I wonder if that would work.
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

They do actually. I use to use it on my basket hilts in the S.C.A back in the day. I'm not sure how it would look on the obi though. I hate to admit it, but honestly I think the... Lets call it "weathering" is starting to grow on me a bit. *L* But it may have to do with the amount of polishing that's been going into it to.