Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Portable Drill Press

Default Portable Drill Press

Just wondering if any of you have tried one of these, successes? failures?

Figure it is a cheap alternative to help with those pesky holes you can't quite get straight by hand.... ( I know its no comparison to an actual drill press.... but for a cheap comparison that will yield better results than what you can get just eyeballing it?)

(click image for product page)

Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 08-28-2010 at 06:55 AM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've tried the dremel drill press... that was pretty crappy. You could tighten everything as far as you can and it would still have that annoying wiggle. It ended up in the trash - I couldn't even give it away.

I get the impression that with big, heavy drill presses, you're paying for the sturdiness and peace of mind that comes with a solid tool. These chinsy little add-ons seem to only add more pain in das booty... to me at least.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

How does that work? Do you put the bit into the chuck, then chuck your drill to that?

It looks pretty flimsy, and awkward to use.

It sounds more like it was made to be used for drilling into wood, not metal.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Here is the drill press attachment. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=109335785

It is not sturdy at all either. I would recommend not getting it. Plus, for a little bit more you can get a decent drill press.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Thanks for chiming in guys, this is precisely why i posted this

I just wanted to make sure that something like what was posted was not $25.00 dollars worth of work quality better than simply trying to eyeball it. That it would make things harder or not be worth the $25 one would shell out for it.

So you would suggest simply drilling by hand until able to afford something like...say...

this?

or this?

Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 08-28-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

either one of those should be fine.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I had one of those "drill press conversion kits" about 10 years ago.

It was a complete and utter p.o.s.

Given the price of bench drill presses from places like harbor Freight, its hard to justify spending money on something that *does not* work, and is hardly any less expensive than something that actually *does* work just fine.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

I'll be needing one of those drill presses fairly soon. Thanks for the links!

Okay, I know some people don't have the time to do such things. But one can practise drilling with a hand drill to get perfect holes. I did this with my electric drill on used metal sheeting and tubes to prepare for drilling and tapping ym MHS emmiter. And wonders upon wonders I drilled a perfect hole with a simple drill. On the note of this cheaper drillpress type thingy, follow what others have stated. If your going to purchase a drill press you mine aswell buy a decent one.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

i would go with the first model ....the one with keyless chuck bits tend to come loose