Thread: Some costuming questions

Youngling

Default Some costuming questions

... um where to start.

I know there is a set "uniform" the Jedi's where, now are those just temple jedis or does that go for all Jedis? Where Qui-gonn outfit looked more rugged, and obi-wans looked more "proper".

Where do colors fall into this, say Obi vs. Anakin color scheme

Girl Jedis dont seem to wear the traditional "Jedi" uniform. There was one, the old woman in the archives Obi-wan spoke to.

Sith costumes.. again is there a set standard for them, they seem to be all over the place with there uniforms from Darth Maul to Vader to the more "battle ready" sith warriors.

I know there is so many places to start, but what if you want more of a NON typical look. Would this be not allowed, or non-cannon, i hate using that term.

Or take Starkiller, he just wore i think what he could find at the time.

Or does it really come down to what you want your character to look like?

Most of the female Jedi in the temple were nonhuman, and therefore could make alterations to the Jedi garments. Bultar Swan, for example, wore pretty traditional garments. And according to the Visual Dictionary, Jedi weren't required to wear the 'uniform', it was merely a sign of respect and it also denoted to nonjedi who you were.
    So essentially you could wear anything that looks starwarsy.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

all of the woman i can think of in the jedi temple were humanoid characters, not human but hot alien babes.
    personally i think the tabbards look is the best, and is the standard attire for a jedi knight or an adventurous jedi, such as anakin, or starkillers jedi adventure robe. the more serious jedi wear the sandy coloured cotton costume and brown robe.

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

I beg to differ.

Game face ^
    serious... game face

"You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't know what you're basing your assumptions on, galen.

But you are misinformed.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

i'm not going to argue about the details of a movie on the internet

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

Thats because you know you're wrong

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

He probably doesn't want to try arguing with someone who's been costuming as a Jedi for over half his lifetime.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Youngling

ok, well here is why I asked because I hate the way the tabbards look, if they are not done perfectly right they look silly, like shoulder pads from the 80's gone wrong.

Belts, im not a fan of belts, so my costume will not have one.
    if it does, it will be ONLY to hold my saber, loose

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOK View Post
    Belts, im not a fan of belts, so my costume will not have one.
    if it does, it will be ONLY to hold my saber, loose
    As someone who has been in costuming for his entire life (though that may not be as long as several other board members) I can assure you that this is a Bad Idea. One, and most practical, if the belt isn't tight, it will fall down as soon as you suspend weight from it. Two, it will look sloppy.

Belts are supposed to be tight, not loose on the body and they serve two purposes from a visual standpoint. The first is to divide the body. A belt, especially when worn externally over longer top garments helps to separate the torso from the legs. You can play around with the placement, especially when you have something like an obi under it to further skew visual proportions. This can be helpful when you don't have particularly long legs and want to minimize torso proportions. For a practical example, kilts are worn at a very high waist for modern style guides. In fact, many kilts are belted as much as 4" above where the man would normally wear his belt. The effect it creates is a longer leg, an, when worm properly, will visually taper the body. This is the second goal of decorative belts (which the Jedi belt is) in terms of visual lines. Obviously, the belt is colored to match the garment for style reasons as well.

Now that I've dropped a ton of info on you, I'm going to go back to hiding in a dark corner until I have enough scratch to finally put together my saber.