Thread: Hasbro sound + 2accent LEDs

Question Hasbro sound + 2accent LEDs

Greetings! Ihope this is the right place to post this. Believe me when I say, I have spent an obscene number of hours reading through the forums in hopes of figuring this out myself, but .... I built a simple lightsaber about 2 years ago (no sound and one accent LED). Now I'm trying to build one with Hasbro sound and 2 accent LEDs. Rhyen Skytracker's tutorial has gotten me this far, along with the Q&As from many others, but I'm still kinda stuck. So, without further ado (whatever that is) here is my proposed wiring diagram:

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/y...-annotated.jpg
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It looks like the way you have it wired the LEDs will stay on ALL the time. You need either a relay or TIP42G transistor that is triggered by the board LED output for it to work properly. Look at this thread here to see how to wire the transistor. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=2010

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Also, the way you have your accent LEDs wired with 2 resistors will make them very weak. Essentially it may look like you have a resistor per LED, but in fact you are resistoring it twice. 1 resistor will be fine.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

so what you need to do is run the positive wire to a resistor, a single one, and then that resistor runs to the positive of one LED and the negative from that will go to the positive of the other LED and then the negative of that LED will go to the negative of the battery.

make sure you have the equations correct for ohms law as well when running two resisters in series.

so:
    battery positive -> resister -> LED 1 positive - then LED 1 negative -> to LED 2 positive - then LED 2 negative -> battery negative
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Default 1-you guys ROCK! 2-more questions...

Never would have expected such a quick response. Thanks a lot! Of course, with every scientific endeavor, answering one question tends to raise many more ...especially if you're as dense as I am. Based on what you have told me, I revised my diagram. Note: this time I left out the sensors and speaker to simplify:

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...ED-revised.jpg

One of the glaring issues is what the heck is that other black wire coming off the Hasbro board??? (purple in the diagram) Can I use it as I have in the diagram? Or should I ignore it and just splice the other black (neg) wire to make my connections? If I cannot use it, my plan is to splice the black/neg wire from the battery and connect it to both the transistor and the Buck Puck. Does that seem right?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You have a total of 5 wires going in or out of your buck puck.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Red face Oops!

Sorry! The green wire is my optional connection that I would use instead of the purple one.

accents were done correctly. dont know much of anything about the new econo boards though.
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Question Stupid wire!

Thanks astromech and Skottsaber. So now I'm just left with which wire to use. Rhyen Skytracker's tutorial is great, but I can't tell from the photos what (if anything) that wire is used for. I suppose I could just try it both ways and see which one works, but I would rather not fry anything. Aaargh...stupid wire!

Default Hasbro sound card wiring

This is what I have in hand so far based on Rhyen Skytracker's tutorial. One black wire from the card is clearly labeled "LAMP", so I assume it goes to the main LED. But what is the other black wire labeled "VSS"? Should I just cut it off or can it be used for something like accent LEDs? Once more, any help is appreciated.

One more stupid question ...the wires I have labeled "Switch" in the photo still have the original switch attached. Can that switch just be cut off and replaced with my own switch? Thanks again!

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...-annotated.jpg
    ROBODOC

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
    -Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche