Thread: First post/MHS design - thoughts??

Thumbs up First post/MHS design - thoughts??

First off, this is my first post here! I've lurked around for a little bit, and I'm super impressed with what you guys are doing.

I've been playing with the MHS builder, and while it's a little confusing knowing what goes where, I think I've figured it out. So here's what I've got:

A bit sithy, I know. What do you guys think?!

p.s.. You can call me Ackbar

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Welcome aboard! Sithy is good. I like the weathering stuff you did to your builder pic. That's cool. Do you plan to weather the final product?

What are your plans for electronics? I would recommend with that design one of Tim's black AV switches with red ring and black mounting ring.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Thanks FB! Yeah, if I go with this one I intend to do flat black paint on the black bits, and dry brushing on the aluminum. Maybe sand away some of the black parts as well.

I'm sorry.. you have to bare with me for a bit, I'm a complete n00b at this point. Where could I find that switch?

The design looks like Darth Vader's younger cousin. And I mean that in a good way.

And what switch?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaTrap View Post
    Thanks FB! Yeah, if I go with this one I intend to do flat black paint on the black bits, and dry brushing on the aluminum. Maybe sand away some of the black parts as well.

I'm sorry.. you have to bare with me for a bit, I'm a complete n00b at this point. Where could I find that switch?
    here you go:http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/DP...itch-P467.aspx
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    Actually I think this is the one we are looking for. Great design by the way.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/DP...itch-P465.aspx

Try some aluminum black metal stain (that's used for polishing guns) for that weathering job...it may come out better than you expected. Just rub it on with a rag, and then after you get the desired effect, spray on some clear coat and you're all set....just a suggestion.

Great first design, and it looks like you are doing your homework. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Thanks guys! If and when I do build this saber I'll definitely take a look at that switch. Thing's awesome. Anything else I might do to improve the design?

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    Try some aluminum black metal stain (that's used for polishing guns) for that weathering job...it may come out better than you expected. Just rub it on with a rag, and then after you get the desired effect, spray on some clear coat and you're all set....just a suggestion.

Great first design, and it looks like you are doing your homework. I look forward to seeing the finished product!
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely give that a try. You mean for the aluminum parts though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaTrap View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely give that a try. You mean for the aluminum parts though, right?
    Yes on the aluminum parts it could work well. Nice looking Sith saber design you have there. You might want to try some O rings in the small grooves and a black finish or black carbon fiber tape in the wide ones. Red O-rings could look awesome on that design imo. Of course its what YOU like that matters. MTFBWY on your build and welcome.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 08-22-2010 at 07:43 PM.