Thread: Yes compact 18650 MHS section

Talking Yes compact 18650 MHS section

With the more power hungry leds around now I have been struggling to find a compact battery solution that will drive one of these power hungry setups for more than 15 minutes.

Here are 2 18650s stuffed in a 4 inch double female extension. Basically a pack built into the section.

It actually fits!

The trick is to let one battery hang out the big slot a little while the other battery is slid into the channel on the other side. Toward the end they pop each other into place. It is quite sturdy. No movement at all.

other angles

Of course it needs a sleeve or shroud of some sort to hide the holes & hold the batterys. But this is like having 8 AA size Li ions in a small space.

With good 18650s I have run my SSR90 at 5 amps for about 40 minutes.

Here is the same type of section with a PC, a Pololu board, and a D2Flex.

Last edited by Sunrider; 09-30-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Banned Sith Lord

well there ya go man!

i know alot of people are using the LEDengin 10 watts now. including me. i always find myself using 18650s. but i only need one for single 10 watt as long as its not a serial PCB.

Intiresting thought and useful, my only question would be how to protect the wires from shorts? Would you line the MHS with something or heatshrink around the batts and the wire?
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You can use hot glue or epoxy to insulate the wires where they are bare. Works like a charm
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Banned Sith Lord

thats what i do to protect my wires on batteries and stuff. it does work for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    You can use hot glue or epoxy to insulate the wires where they are bare. Works like a charm
    yeah, ditto that over here too
    LOCKHEED

Also, cableorganizer.com stocks more heat-shrink tubing than any man will ever need. I would recommend local sources if they had as many shrink ratios, diameters, quality grades and lengths as the site does. I'm actually sitting on 50' spools of 3:1 3/8 and 3:1 5/8 right now, for a new bullwhip project. Good luck getting anything like that at Radio Shack.

There are also some cable guides on the site that I was looking at for custom hilt grips. With a bit of creative epoxying (it's a word now, Webster) one could fix the cable guides to the outside of the hilt and run an MHS-style sleeve overlay on top of it, cut out to whatever shape you'd like. The Cable Loom comes to mind: http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html. I'd get non-split, personally, but it doesn't seem to be available. A bit of glue along the edges may solve that problem. They've even got one that looks like polished aluminum!

As if that weren't enough, they also stock fiber optic cables (for those interested in lightwhips), network gear (if you're into computers), tools, and a bunch of other curiosities. I'm sure at least half of the stuff would make itself useful in saber building.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Weaver; 01-26-2012 at 03:30 AM.