Thread: Lord...im confused.

Question Lord...im confused.

I just read that a resistor is the worst way to power an LED....so I WAS going to use a Buckpuck, until I read you can't use a buckpuck if you're using any type of sound board. So I'm confused now on what I can or can't use. Its my first saber (still figuring out what's what)

Council Member
    Sith Lord

If you use a sound board, it does the job of a puck. Think about it this way.

Resistor=most basic
    Buckpuck=resistor on steroids
    Sound board=buckpuck+sound
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Talking

Ah! Makes sence now! Thans a ton! Ill have to post some pictures of my saber once I'm done. I've gotta find a Triangle screw driver to take this sound board out. I have everything besides that darn screwdriver LOL.

Not all soundboards are capable of providing enough MA to drive the expect LEDs.

The new 2010 Economy boards don't push much current, so they need something else, like a resistor, buckpuck, etc, to regulate the current going to the LED. The "2010 Economy thread" has all that info.

The older ForceAction boards put out "more" current, 300ma-ish if I remember correctly. This *might* be enough depending on your desires for superbright blades.

The MR/Hasbro FX, ultrasound, CF all provide plenty of current for an LED. You might want a resistor on the MR/Hasbro FX to bring the voltage down, but generally, the current is going to be ~1000ma which shouldn't burn out any properly heatsinked LED. It might shorten the life of a REBEL or other LED that prefers 700ma as a max.

Decide whether you want sound, and then WHICH soundboard you're going to use, and we can make a better recommendation on how to protect your main LED from overcurrent.
    Last edited by Arkhan; 08-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Im actually using an old 1999 Hasbro Darth Maul saber sound board.