Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New...and a bit intimidated

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    Welcome, glad to have you here. I was in the Air Force for 4 years but that was 25 years ago. (I am getting old) LOL The great thing about MHS parts is you can just pick the ones you want, order them and just screw them together. So, you can order the parts for your saber and have a static hilt until you can get to the point where you can do the electronics.
    And, getting the parts in hand really helps you plan a little more with your electronics! WELCOME!!! As stated before, we need more females active in this hobby, hope to hear more from you, even if its just learning for now!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Welcome and don't worry. I agree this can be intimidating when you see the skills and the knowledge of lots of people here. But if this can help you, some 5 or 6 months ago, I was like you, with 0 knowledge in this stuff, and unable to understand where to start... Now, I'm surprised with what I am capable of. Trust all the people here, READ a lot and LEARN and if you really love making your own saber, you'll make it.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Doon View Post
    Welcome and don't worry. I agree this can be intimidating when you see the skills and the knowledge of lots of people here. But if this can help you, some 5 or 6 months ago, I was like you, with 0 knowledge in this stuff, and unable to understand where to start... Now, I'm surprised with what I am capable of. Trust all the people here, READ a lot and LEARN and if you really love making your own saber, you'll make it.
    EXCELLENT advice. And go ahead and start with the links in my SIG.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Welcome, Alison. I'm one of the few females in this hobby. I wish there were more of us.
    Lies! You like being the special one *hides again*

Welcome Alison! Start small and go from there!

welcome. saber building is intimidating but although you dont have the tools, you can spend a little extra getting tim(the owner of the custom saber shop) to drill you all the holes you need. as long as you have some electrical tape(or any way of getting acess to a heat gun and heat sink tubing), a soldering iron(with solder) and pliers you can just wire it all up, screw it together, and you got the easiest lightsaber build ever (you also need a little cash, about $110 for a full setup).

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

Two things.

One, don't be intimidated, it's all in fun and "You can do it".
    Two, Don't ever under any circumstances, and I mean never ever ever ask "What's a Blade holder for?"

Just relax enjoy your build one piece at a time.
    Welcome

Gravy

Quote Originally Posted by galen marek View Post
    (...about $110 for a full setup).
    It's probably closer to $110 for a basic setup. Especially if you go with an MHS saber (which are really good looking).

If you want to go all out with premium audio, recharge ports, Lux V, tricked out blade, etc you can easily spend 2-3x that.

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    It's probably closer to $110 for a basic setup. Especially if you go with an MHS saber (which are really good looking).

If you want to go all out with premium audio, recharge ports, Lux V, tricked out blade, etc you can easily spend 2-3x that.
    if not more... this hobby can get really expensive really fast... i am currently putting about $500-$600 into my next project...

All depends on what you want.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post

Ofcourse, thats what i meant.

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

Quote Originally Posted by galen marek View Post
    as long as you have some electrical tape
    BAD ADVICE!!
    Heatshrink is THE ONLY way to protect wires inside lightsabers. Electrical tape is just not up to the job. Heatshrink is cheap and all you need is a lighter of some sort (even matches) to make it shrink.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent