Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New...and a bit intimidated

Default New...and a bit intimidated

Well, I've been stalking the forums for a good bit now so I figured I should introduce myself. You can call me Arizae if you like ("hey n00b" works too, or Alison) and I am brand new to the art of building lightsabers. Honestly, it's intimidating. Ohm's law drove me up a wall in Physics and I would probably end up chopping off a finger if I touched a saw, but I love lightsabers. As a kid I would buy all those cheap plastic ones, played with them daily, yet got very angry if anyone abused them. Now that I've finally left my teen years I'm hoping to move from the plastic toys to the more realistic looking and expensive models.

Now that I have sufficiently bored all of you know that I'm here to learn and observe. I'm in college, the Air Force Academy at that, and have no time to build anything by myself. I'm not allowed to own the tools in my dorm and I don't have anywhere that I could use them if I bought them (wouldn't really know what I was doing either). Doesn't mean I won't give up! I'll build my own saber yet. So I found the saberforge site and thought I was saved because I could buy an awesome looking saber...but then I saw some reviews here and on the fx-saber boards (I apologize if mentioning this is against some of those rules). I was discouraged because I wouldn't be able to fix anything on those awesome looking hilts.

So if I can't go buy an awesome saber I'll just have to wait the two years until I graduate and try to teach myself how. So don't mind me right now! I'll be looking through everything for the answer to questions. I can see these may not be the forums for me...since I can't really do much towards building my own lightsaber right now. Despite wanting to buy all those parts and force them together, but let's face it this is my experience level.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Got that for my 17th birthday from my exasperated parents. I loved it, still do. You guys are an inspiration. I'll have to show you a masterful saber of my own making in like...twenty years or something.
    Last edited by Arizae; 08-15-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Welcome to the forums!

Feel free to ask questions (although most people here will chastise you if you don't at least try to search for the answer and read for yourself).

In the meantime, you could start to plan out your future saber or maybe get ideas about what it should look like, what kinds of things you want to incorporate into it, etc...

-C
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arizae View Post
    Doesn't mean I won't give up!
    Wait, what?

Welcome, Alison. I'm one of the few females in this hobby. I wish there were more of us.

If you keep reading here, and asking questions when you need to, you will have all the knowledge you need to build yourself a lightsaber.

Maybe you'll be able to sneak in a little practice with tools here and there.

I'm lucky, because before I built my first lightsaber, I had had jobs that taught be how to use various power tools, like hand drills, drill presses, band saws, reciprocating saws, grinding/buffing wheels, rivet tools and Dremels. I'd also been soldering for 20 before then.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I would like to tell you that it's not that hard but really I think you just need to focus on one aspect at a time and before you know it you'll have a good understanding. With the MHS system and some customizing by Tim here at TCSS you can easily order a powdercoated hilt and even have a custom look by having parts modified. If you're going that route then it's just a matter of having the time and space to do some soldering. I'm still trying to wrap my head around OHM's Law, but in the meantime it hasn't stopped me from building.

If you can't do any builds for a while then at least when you're ready to build you'll know what you want and how to do it.

welcome to the forum .....this should help you get started with the basic led lightsaber

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...read.php?t=326

Welcome!
    Try this for tackling Ohms law with LEDs

Hope you get to building a saber some day, meanwhile you can learn practically everything you need to know and more about building one

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Welcome! It's always nice to welcome another lady to the hobby...we need more of you!

And until you are able to start a build, continue reading and learning..by the time you are set to build, you will be armed and ready to go!

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    And until you are able to start a build, continue reading and learning..by the time you are set to build, you will be armed and ready to go!
    And soon thereafter..... literally!
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Welcome.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Welcome, glad to have you here. I was in the Air Force for 4 years but that was 25 years ago. (I am getting old) LOL The great thing about MHS parts is you can just pick the ones you want, order them and just screw them together. So, you can order the parts for your saber and have a static hilt until you can get to the point where you can do the electronics.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php