Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's Brass Saber 23 (BS-23)

Default Jay-gon Jinn's Brass Saber 23 (BS-23)

For quite a while now, I've seen other builders using the chokes in the center of their lightsabers, and have wondered what the attraction to it was, so I decided to try my hand at building one myself. This saber is the end result of that.....I had Tim do some custom machine work on a 5" dble. extension and cut some brass sleeves using my rotary tool to add some brass goodness to it, and then decided that since I was going to use an MR board in it, I might as well add some extra bling in the form of a scrolling set of led's in the ribbed extension. Those didn't turn out quite the way I wanted them, since they scroll on/off so fast it looks instantaneous, but they look kind of cool anyway. This saber is powered by a 3-14500 triangular pack of Li-Ion rechargeable batteries for 3.7v and a stated run time of 2250mah. The recharge port is a 2.1mm, the switch a momentary anti-vandal yellow illuminated type using pololu board to activate the MR board, and the main blade led is a white Seoul P4 using a Lee filter to achieve a matching yellow blade for the accent led's. I also drilled the choke for sound vents and vented the back of the speaker mount so there is sound exiting those holes, and the saber is plenty loud enough.

so, without further ado, I give you

Brass Saber 23
    or as I have come to call this one:
    "The Watchman"

[/url]

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

That looks REALLY good, man. I'm totally jealous of your shinyness. That is a top notch saber. Very detailed.

How did you get the finish so shiny on the MHS parts? Mine seems so dull.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Great work as always Jay Gon! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    That looks REALLY good, man. I'm totally jealous of your shinyness. That is a top notch saber. Very detailed.

I buffed mine, and it is sparkling. If you spend enough time, it looks really shiny. Handling them, dulls them out though (the oil on your hands).

Great saber Jay-gon! Is that a scuff from your dremel on pic 14 on the emitter? You might be able to buff it out...but the saber looks great none the less.
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

Looks good.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Love it. You always have a way of amazing me. I'm afraid to have my done, because you'll do something else new and I'll want it.
    Lord Kolban Gryph-Lyn, Grey Jedi
    The Dark Empire

Wow Jay-Gon!
    I like the utilitarian look given by the screws, it constrasts nicely the shiny brass.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

That's a great looking saber Jay. I like how you layered the shroud. So how do you like using the choke in the center of your saber? I think it awesome.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I also like the look of the layered emitter shroud.

That's a nice yellow for the blade. What's the name of the filter color?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post

Polished with mother's Aluminum and Mag Wheel polish on a cotton diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by polarcupz View Post
    I buffed mine, and it is sparkling. If you spend enough time, it looks really shiny. Handling them, dulls them out though (the oil on your hands).

Great saber Jay-gon! Is that a scuff from your dremel on pic 14 on the emitter? You might be able to buff it out...but the saber looks great none the less.
    That was there on the brass already when i started on it....to deep to buff out, but i did make an attempt at sanding it out before I polished the shroud initially. It's better than it was, but not going away, I fear. It'll add character to it as it weathers and patinas, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Wow Jay-Gon!
    I like the utilitarian look given by the screws, it constrasts nicely the shiny brass.
    Yeah, this was kind of going for a KOTOR-ish flavor with the screws and the choke in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Midian View Post
    That's a great looking saber Jay. I like how you layered the shroud. So how do you like using the choke in the center of your saber? I think it awesome.
    I'm not wild about, but this one came out nice, so I might try it again on another one someday. It made this saber a bit longer than I'd prefer it to be, but I think it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I also like the look of the layered emitter shroud.

That's a nice yellow for the blade. What's the name of the filter color?
    I knew someone would ask me that! I found the cut-out disc in my repair box that I take with me to events, and used it, and got lucky and it matched the led's when the blade was on. I'll look through the swatch book and try to see if i can find it.

EDIT:
    770, burnt yellow.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 08-14-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.