Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: New PVC SABER

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Midian View Post
    Jr, that looks good. I like all the holes by the emitter. That Obi board sounds nice, it doesn't sound like a toy saber board at all. I'm really going to start checking those out. Is it true that the Obi board is the best one to work with? I just want to be sure.
    Thank you , I like those a lot too. From everything I have seen on here it is... Probably because of the size of the board. It fits real nice into a 1" PVC tube. When you go to wire it though talk to me if you have any problems the diagrams here are close but I did not use a 5v resistor because when I used it inline with the transistor I would get sound but no light. I took the 5v resistor out a wa-la it work perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by polarcupz View Post
    I am truly in love with the emitter holes. They make the saber. Job well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    I've had the best experience with the Obi-Wan board.

Thanks guys, and yeah I have had good luck so far, but this was my first.

Your saber is amazing.

I have made my first PVC saber (not nearly as nice) and am trying to find out how others are anchoring the led in the saber.

I took my led and hot glued the lens and holder on to it. after that I glued the led on to a nut that i use as a heat sink (metal on metal glue around it). Next I shoved that into a cut piece of toy lightsaber collapsable blade that fit tight into the 1 inch plumbing PVC pipe to hold it.
    Does anyone have other ways?
    maCemAchINe

Nice job. I really like the holes too.

Very nice result from a humble material. I'm still lurking and learning here, but itching to build my first saber. All that leftover PVC in the garage... it's good to see there's potential to get more than just practice out of building with it!

Hope to steal some of your ideas as I go forward with the build.

@CC: just saw your sabers, and just, wow. Want to pick your brain about baking enamel if I ever make it past padawan training.

Quote Originally Posted by Macemachine View Post
    Your saber is amazing.

I have made my first PVC saber (not nearly as nice) and am trying to find out how others are anchoring the led in the saber.

I took my led and hot glued the lens and holder on to it. after that I glued the led on to a nut that i use as a heat sink (metal on metal glue around it). Next I shoved that into a cut piece of toy lightsaber collapsable blade that fit tight into the 1 inch plumbing PVC pipe to hold it.
    Does anyone have other ways?
    Honestly I have had no issues with over heating or hot spots at all with the PVC. This might be more of a problem with metal since metal is a conductor.. What I do is fit the led the lens and holder all together. Add a drop of glue to hold it all in place, then wrap the whole thing in electrical tape, sliding pieces of foam into the wraps as needed for extra mass for holding and cusioning against the PVC inner walls. Works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Nice job. I really like the holes too.
    Thank you! I have studied a lot of designs in here Midian, Havok and so forth and barrowed / stolen (LOL) some of their techniques. My kids and I battle nightly sound included even for the three year old! Good times!

JR, thanks for the props. Your saber looks really cool. Never underestimate the true power of pvc. I'm going to be trying a different technique on installing the led to 1" pvc. I'll post pics when I get all my parts.

the saber came out really nice...nice video...need to get around and make my own one of these days.....cool about the 3 yaer olds saber ,,,,can't do that with my 2 year old she sleeps with hers....didn't want to hear clash and humm sounds thru the monitor .....good luck on your next build...

Quote Originally Posted by jin starkiller View Post
    the saber came out really nice...nice video...need to get around and make my own one of these days.....cool about the 3 yaer olds saber ,,,,can't do that with my 2 year old she sleeps with hers....didn't want to hear clash and humm sounds thru the monitor .....good luck on your next build...

LOL that would be funny though!