Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another RGB LED question

Default Another RGB LED question

hey guys, how's it going?

I have another couple questions regarding RGB LEDs.

1. Does any TCSS lens holder fit an RGB LED? If not, how is the collimator (lens) set in place?
    2. What is the best lens to use with a 10W RGB (like LedEngin's)? 5 degree?

Thanks in advance.

Banned Sith Lord

legit questions i would say.

the classic RGBs are wierd. the ones people tend to use are the Seoul Q5s since its R B and G are under one dome. but the traditional RGBs were three seperate domes and you had to use a speciall lense and only certain people made them.

so with a seoul Q5 you can use any lense.

now i prefere to use the RGGB, RGBA, and RGBW LEDengin 10 watts. i am doing ALOT of work with them currently.
    and any lense will work but the 8.7 degree will work the best as far as mixing and capturing the most light output from the LED.

now be aware that with the LEDengine 10 watts. you cant use a lense a holder because the housing under the LED dome is square and so it wont fit. you have to just use a lense. and this only works if you prop the LED up a tiny bit to so everything gets tightened down nice and snug. with out the LED being propped up a bit, the lense will not be secure. and getting everything perfectly fitted is hard stuff.

i would suggest using this with some slight mods: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/He...tars-P550.aspx

hope this helps.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Most of the people I know use the LEDengin multidie LEDs for purple and to mix colors. You can get a lens holder and modify it with a dremel to fit. I have found that reflectors work very well with the LEDengins and the 8.7 degree lens work pretty well too.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You wouldn't want a 5 degree lens, because it doesn't allow the colors to mix as well. So I've read, not having tried it myself yet.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I use 5 Degree for all of my TruPurple LEDs. I am not really sure where this misinformation started, but They work perfectly.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

You also CAN use a lens holder with the 10W. Don't know who started the ugly rumor that you cant.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    You also CAN use a lens holder with the 10W. Don't know who started the ugly rumor that you cant.
    QFT Brotha, that is exactly what I use too

Sooo many folks say what can't be done when they have never tried it
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I have ALWAYS used lens holders and haven't had any problems. I have had some LEDs that didn't fit too well with the type of holder I had bue I just used a dremel to make it fit with no problems. If you don't use a holder you can risk damaging the LED by having too much pressure on the LED. I have also seen people try to use a holder not meant for a specific LED with out modifing it and broke the traces going from the LED dome to the star. Always verify the holder will fit right and modify it if need be.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

What they said. I have always used standard TCSS Luxeon III lens holders and 5º lenses with LedEngin RGGBs and RGBAs. DJMoonbass, you are either confusing it with something else, or working on faulty info. Multicolor LEDs are loads o' fun.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    I use 5 Degree for all of my TruPurple LEDs. I am not really sure where this misinformation started, but They work perfectly.
    I thought I saw FenderBender say that somewhere.

*shrugs*
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!