Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Point of Origin's "Ambitious" - MHS/Sinktube

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Looks like it'll be a great saber when you get finished! The parts for my first MHS saber are arriving tomorrow, so I'm chomping at the bit to get started as well.

Unfortunately for me, my saber is a surprise Christmas present for my fiancee, and she's showing up tomorrow as well. How to hide the parts without her noticing...?
    Put the hilt in your pants.

*Runs from J-Lo*

OP nice design, can't wait to see it finished!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

*shakes head at Ronan*
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    *shakes head at Ronan*

Quote Originally Posted by pointoforigin View Post

It could also be said that the moral is Don't try and emulate Slothfurnace on your first ever build...

My next one will be a lot simpler lol!
    You're doing great!! It's looking fantastic.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Sloth, coming from you, that's an incredible compliment thanks dude!

I do think Crystal is right though, need to focus more on my own ideas than "stealing" others lol.

Just waiting on electronics to arrive. I DO have a few ideas there which I don't think have been explored by others... but I guess I'll find out when I post them up lol!

Thanks for the confidence guys, it spurs me on past "Oh i guess it's ok" to "Hey I'm not doing too bad here at all!"

Mate Keep doing what you're doing.

I don't really agree with CC, a lot of people are going to take inspiration from SF's crystal chamber and I'm very sure his inspiration came from elsewhere just with a super SF twist.

Taking inspiration from others is not stealing.

You're general design is looking good, for me I'd have a few less vanes in the crystal chamber
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

All I think crystal is trying to say (coming from an artists point of view as she is) is that originality really is the lifeblood of this hobby. While inspiration and design cues can be something that EVERYONE takes from others, a saber with even 50% replicated parts just isn't showing the kind of creativity that the OP is clearly capable of.

Good work man, keep it up... i love when you update
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Just a tip on the brass rods. Lathing thin rods of any metal is tricky as it will bend on you and not give you accurate results. It's more waste, but you need something like 1/2" or 3/4" rod and lathe it down a little at a time. There is more material in the chuck and gives you more stability for cuts.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Banned Sith Lord

i will second this.

Fender, the brass rod I started with was about 3/4" lol! Goodness me that took some patience. I was pulling it in at about 1/20th of a mm per cut, horizontal travel set on auto at the slowest speed possible. It's never going to be accurate with something that thin though - the bowing effect made the ends be about 1/32" thinner than the middle.

Doesn't help that the chuck isn't 100% accurate! But it's working.

If I was doing it again I'd definately do it differently. Maybe I'll even re-work it in the future. For now, the ideas are still coming out ok, and as a proof of concept, it's certainly working.

Keep in mind this is my first saber. And the first time I've used a dremel. And the first time in about 3 years that I've used the lathe. And drill press. Pretty much name a tool and I've not picked it up for a while prior to this build