Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Point of Origin's "Ambitious" - MHS/Sinktube

Default Point of Origin's "Ambitious" - MHS/Sinktube

So my parts arrived today for my first build, rather excited...
    I of course ripped everything open and made a huge mess instantly. Kudos to Tim for using recyclable materials for packing.
    I started to test fit my parts, before doing any cutting, just to see how it would work and already I hit a problem.
    I was led to believe from the content of the shop site that the 1.5” MHS/sinktube adapter would be exactly right to use as a 1.25” adapter, but it seems that I have to sand out the inside by about half a millimeter. Not a big deal, but another step to do.

So the plan includes these skills:
    Dremel-fu
    Slothfurnace-fu (I’m coining the term)
    and Electronics-fu and Cram-fu as well.

There’s a few pics here to start you off - renders of what my idea is, and many many parts.

Inspiration for the design came from several people here -
    Slothfurnace, Sunrider and Crystal Chambers for the crystal chamber
    Obi-Dar and LDM for the easy access electronics ideas
    And someone who did a Starkiller extremely nicely... but I can’t remember your name at the moment sorry!

The design started on the MHS builder, and then I wanted a more “real” representation of what it would look like, so into Sketchup I went. After recieving the parts though, a few of the dimensions are obviously out. But that’s ok, I can ajust.

As my electronics-fu is rather... non-existant, I’m not going for sound yet, just light. The actual design of the hilt by itself will be hard enough without complex wiring issues on top.

The first real work starts tomorrow, with cutting the sinktubes. I’m going to have to be super accurate to make it all work, so we shall see how that turns out.

Wish me luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pointoforigin; 08-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.

Very cool, look forward to seeing this progress! Looks like you have a neat idea here, i wish you luck
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Which sinktube adapter did you order? There is one for 1.5" sinktubes, there is one for 1.25" sinktubes, and then there is a 1.25" to 1.5" adapter.

Looks like it'll be a great saber when you get finished! The parts for my first MHS saber are arriving tomorrow, so I'm chomping at the bit to get started as well.

Unfortunately for me, my saber is a surprise Christmas present for my fiancee, and she's showing up tomorrow as well. How to hide the parts without her noticing...?

Nah there's only the two. I got the 1.5" and theoretically it should have fitted the 1.25" tube on the inside as well as the 1.5" on the outside, but it's just sliiiightly off. It's ok, will just take some work to get it erm... working.

Quote Originally Posted by pointoforigin View Post
    Nah there's only the two. I got the 1.5" and theoretically it should have fitted the 1.25" tube on the inside as well as the 1.5" on the outside, but it's just sliiiightly off. It's ok, will just take some work to get it erm... working.
    Ahh you are right - I swear I saw a 1.25 to 1.5 adapter somewhere, but I guess not.

Either way, I can't wait to see your saber progress.

Strange...maybe it's the gauge of sinktube. I've yet to try it myself but I have used both sized sinktube inside and outside MHS body/extension.

Personally I would prefer to cut up body/extension pieces then use the 1.5 adapter because lining up the holes on sinktube to MHS underneath is difficult so why not do the opposite? Drill your sinktube first and then the MHS underneath.

Some of your pictures are dark and I'm not sure where you're going with this, but anytime sinktube and MHS gets mixed and modified I'm usually intrigued.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

good luck man. have fun.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Looks good so far man. Hope all goes better.
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I think I can see where you're going with this. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Good luck, and MTFBWY!