Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My first MHS concept...second opinions?

Brass sinktube is nice for steampunk too. Just google it in an image search and you'll find a variety of steampunked items to draw inspiration from.

For the quad wrap...it makes a nice core but the blade does dim towards the tip a little. We used quad wrap for Demonica. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...light=Demonica The pics I posted are a little brighter then in person so the core is more defined. My Mantis saber has a similar combo of double wrap and clear giftwrap or poly-p for short as Jedi-Loreen mentioned. You don't get much of a core effect with just double wrap IMO but with the clear wrap inside it give a nice film/screen like texture. If you're going steampunk I think some version of film/corbin blade is the way to go.

Well i think that the steampunk thing is cool, but i think that ill just stick with a simple overlay. mayb 4 my next build....but thanks all for the tips and insight. also, ive considered a rechargeable battery pack 4 this saber. (sorry if im bugging you guys with noob questions) but im curious as to what the best set up for this is. and thanks a ton Mazaki for the kit suggestion and tutorial, its exactly what im looking 4. due to $$ issues im not adding a sound card just yet, but i intend to use a crystal focus v5.

I'm curious about the rear section of the middle steam punk saber. Is that a part that you machined yourself? I like the look very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Brass sinktube is nice for steampunk too. Just google it in an image search and you'll find a variety of steampunked items to draw inspiration from.

For the quad wrap...it makes a nice core but the blade does dim towards the tip a little. We used quad wrap for Demonica. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...light=Demonica The pics I posted are a little brighter then in person so the core is more defined. My Mantis saber has a similar combo of double wrap and clear giftwrap or poly-p for short as Jedi-Loreen mentioned. You don't get much of a core effect with just double wrap IMO but with the clear wrap inside it give a nice film/screen like texture. If you're going steampunk I think some version of film/corbin blade is the way to go.
    From what ive seen using old clock internals/ designs looks great for steampunk sabers, kodus on your saber project, steampunk sabers are pretty cool.
    PS. Crystal Chambers; Just checked out your Demonica, Loved it.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by krant28 View Post
    I'm curious about the rear section of the middle steam punk saber. Is that a part that you machined yourself? I like the look very much.
    Those weren't RevengeoftheSeth's steampunk sabers, they were just pics of sabers that other people have made that he found photos of on the internet. They were examples.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Well it's been a while since I put in my $0.02 but here goes. I like the design it has similarities to the one I'm making for the wife. The adapter towards the pommel will give you a lot of extra space especially if you plan to upgrade to sound later (personally it looks a little too long for my preference but I'm one of the few that like sabers under 12"). I agree about the illuminated switch, some powder coating might be good too.

I love sabers and love steam punk, especially conversions (computers, phones, etc) but for some reason I hate it when they combine, just doesn't feel like Star Wars any more I suppose (like mixing peanut butter and ketchup, I like them both just not together). Anywho, it looks like you're off to a good start, the best advice I can give is to make sure you have your design down pack before ordering (a lot cheaper that way).
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by krant28 View Post
    It is actually a handle from a oxy/acetylene torch.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tahm View Post
    Well it's been a while since I put in my $0.02 but here goes. I like the design it has similarities to the one I'm making for the wife. The adapter towards the pommel will give you a lot of extra space especially if you plan to upgrade to sound later (personally it looks a little too long for my preference but I'm one of the few that like sabers under 12"). I agree about the illuminated switch, some powder coating might be good too.
    If you are addressing the original poster, he hasn't even logged on here since last November.

Before posting a comment, answer or question to someone in an old thread, it might be a good idea to take a quick look at their profile to see when they last logged on to get an idea if they might even see your post, let alone respond to it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!