Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first MHS concept...second opinions?

Default My first MHS concept...second opinions?

Hello everyone, this is my first idea. I'm new to this website but not so much to the technological aspect of making these things. Anyone have any feedback or insight for this design?

Thanks-

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/y...der_render.png

Also, if i use the Corbin style Battle Blade with this, should i keep the double wrap, or do the quad wrap?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Welcome.

Please try not to double post. Use the edit button.

I've only used a double wrap of the Corbin film, then I ended up adding some clear gift wrap inside that to even out the lighting in the blade.

I don't know if using a quad wrap would make that unnecessary or not. Maybe someone who's tried the quad wrap will weigh in.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Furrwatt View Post
    Also, if i use the Corbin style Battle Blade with this, should i keep the double wrap, or do the quad wrap?
    Are you looking for a central core effect (Corbin film ?). I've tried some different combinations to achieve this effect. I am not really convinced by the quad wrap as the difference with the double is not so relevant. I think you'd better follow Jedi Loren's advice with the gift wrap, but if you're a central core fanatic (like me), another option is to sand a thick walled tube and fill it with gift wrap, I made one and it really pushes the colour toward the edge (though you may loose a bit of brightness).
    IMHO, an illuminated switch and a control box would fit great in your design.
    Last edited by Vlad Doon; 08-09-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Doon View Post
    Are you looking for a central core effect (Corbin film ?). I've tried some different combinations to achieve this effect. I am not really convinced by the quad wrap as the difference with the double is not so relevant. I think you'd better follow Jedi Loren's advice with the gift wrap, but if you're a central core fanatic (like me), another option is to sand a thick walled tube and fill it with gift wrap, I made one and it really pushes the colour toward the edge (though you may loose a bit of brightness).
    IMHO, an illuminated switch and a control box would fit great in your design.
    I agree about the control box. A design like that screams to be steampunked in my opinion, as well. If you have a rotary tool, an overlay would go great with the streamline design.

For getting started, just get one of these:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Kits-C16.aspx

Then, get a blade, which it sounds like you've worked out already. That is all you'll need to get a basic saber that lights up.

Here's a tutorial for building a saber with that kit:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...read.php?t=326

For the blade holder hole to hold the blade in place, Tim can make the threading for you if you add it to your cart in the online store. It's under the "services" tab.
    Sometimes, you don't even realize you're being consumed by the Dark... Until it's too late.

Sorry about the double post...noobie mistake. (edit button noted.) As for the kit, tutorial, and the overlay, i have taken all into consideration beforehand and I think ill go with the Seoul P4 kit. I have taken electronics/engineering courses the past two years so the drilling and tapping part wont be so bad. And the tutorials here are very helpful And thanks for the sanding tip, im trying to get it as bright as possible but with the core affect.
    Last edited by Furrwatt; 08-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Steampunking is essential taking an everyday item and making it look like it came from the turn of the industrial revolution. The long straight design of the MHS parts would allow for a lot of customizing via 'steampunk' overlays. Not everyone likes steampunking and it can be a bit advanced for people new to the hobby.

Here is an example of steampunking a lightsaber.

Oooh, i like the second one there. but i see what you mean. what would be a good way to steampunk this saber tho?

The sky is the limit. Personally, I would start with some type of copper (or simulated copper) overlay. I would do a mixture of the emitter from the 3rd saber with the flexible steel conduit, the lever from the 2nd one, and a unique shroud overlay of copper for the grip area.