Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Xwing's clear saber

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well Crap... today I was hoping to finish it. I was working with the emitter and one of the little legs broke.

GRRR... I ordered another. Last time they were pretty fast. I hope so too. I'll just make piecemeal progress on my other projects.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

you should make a clear vader. now that would be interesting. even though the concept of a clear saber is cooler, but now try making a vader a luke or perhaps an obi wan, because i think that its possible to make those on lathes.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, yeah... excuses. I want it to be done well and I'm getting a kick in the pants to finish. If I'm going to MegaCon (90% sure) I want this there to show off. I had a dry run with another RGB... it's various stages of borked at the moment.

A few thing I've changed and learned:

Learned-
    Emitters are pain, I don't like 'em
    Getting pots in there is going to take longer than the rest of the saber combined.
    I wanted vents for the heatsink... not needed. To much work for no benefit.
    It was pretty damn long and felt like a broad sword...

Thus Changes-
    Going with a Lux III Royal Blue
    Screw the Pots...
    Screw the vents...
    No Pots means I can take 2-3" off and it'll be a nice 12". Still an amazing two hander though since to outside is smooth.

Little tidbits in my changes that will help and still look good. I needed a spacer for stuff. I was using the same PolyC from the holder and set screws... Bah, screw it. I ordered some flexible clear PVC/polyurethane Much easier the friction of the sides will be enough... and it has some give.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm so frustrated with this right now...

It started out fine, last night I wired it all up... got to my room to charge the saber. I practically pooped a brick when I couldn't find my n-sized plug. I ran to RadioShack in the morning and all was well.

After charging I turn it on... sweet. Lights up, no sound... oh god magic smoke. It's getting hot in there.

I couldn't get the guts out fast enough the speaker and soundboard are fried. Later I find out the LED kicked the bucket too. I had without thinking decided when I was drilling out the holes for my stuff that I wanted to use Tim switch (SPST) vs. a Slide (DPDT).

I absent mindedly figured I'd just "Y" them and it wouldn't matter. WRONG! It created a dead short and fried it all.

I have another board though. I have a K2 LED to use... I just need a resistor. Another trip to the shack.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

that does suck, but you do learn by destruction hope you get things goin.

BLUE 3- Ready

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm not going to futz... this thing is getting done tomorrow. I'm going to be at the Shack when they open. To prevent the dead short again, I'm going to use a relay to seperate them.

I'm frustrated because it looked so good... now I pulled it out and I have to resolder stuff. GRRR!!!
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

well, that one sucks xwing
    oh well, now you'll feel all the better when the thing is actually done :P
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I decided to pay for some extra shipping and I'll get a buckpuck to drive this. A resistor is kind of lame... I didn't want to drive to radio shack, again. I'll get constant current and the "y-ing" will work. It'll look nicer, that what I need to tell myself.

This thing has been a pain in the rear. It was pretty when it lit up though. to
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Found out that power flows through the MR switch leads. Made my buckpuck do weird things. So I ended up just wiring it like a conversion. Oh well...

Pics (not gallery worthy yet):

In a lighted room with "beach settings" (quick exposure) AND flash. Dual tube blade also... my corbin film blade lost it's tip finally.

Guts...

Whole Saber

I really like the optics. They are the Prolight ones I ordered with my RGB. They are like the high efficiancy ones out there. You can see the diode through it, but no amazing side spill like the collumnators.

What I would like to do: Switch out the blade holder to aluminum. I think the gap of the diode as a prick and then out the emitter will enhance it's look.

Also the board is just floating. The wire is stiff enough and the hilt being plastic I'm not worried though. I found my clear PVC had too much cling when cut and didn't want to slide. My PolyC scraps wouldn't work too well either. I'm going to make a "shelf" and screw the board down anyway. That'll give me room to mount a PLI behind it easily. Since whoever posted the LED holder over the RS momentary I've been itching to try it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ryma Mara

That hilt is bomb bad right there.

Awsome work and Iam glad you finally got it running.