Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Xwing's clear saber

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 987654321a

hey wont the plastic melt if the led gets too hot?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If the heatsink gets hot enough to melt the plastic, then he has bigger problems... in other words... no.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

o ok cool

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

Just the thought that you built it, Xwing you are truly Strong with the Force as the Emperor has foretold.[][8D]

<center>
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before me"

</center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

OMG... I just got my heatsink in the mail. I can't say enough about it. It beautiful enough to JUST feature that as the only clear part of the hilt.

So I have everything except the charger... meaning I'm pounding out this sucker monday or tuesday on my days off.[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Coming along very nice there bud!

<center>
    This pic ain't mine but the shooter did a damn fine better job then me.</center>

hey where does tim get the metal for the heatsinks?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 987654321a

hey where does tim get the metal for the heatsinks?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Beats me... he machines it from raw stock though.

Anyway... the motto that "anything can go wrong will" applies now. I figured that getting a tube of thermal epoxy wouldn't be a big deal... it is. NO computer shops in my area stock it, and it's not like I live in the middle of no where... sigh, it delayed until an order of it comes in. At least I don't have any PolyC to mess around with it's all done I just need the epoxy to mount the LED and start assembling it.[]

</center>

I was told not to go the epoxy route... instead there is a kind of 2-way thermal tape that computer guys are using. I got some easily - but my K2's aren't here yet. I'm pretty sure Corbin said that's what he used.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm going to use ceramic based thermal epoxy. I'd tend to NOT use the tape as I hear the one that he posted last using the green K2 took a fall and got fried because it came loose.

I DO NOT want that to happen as it'd be hell to resolder the six connections and another LED to order (which was not cheap).

</center>

Oh, please take your time so's it can be done right! I, for one, can't wait until the pics of the hilt complete with ignited blade![]Reeeeaallllly curious to see that emitter, m'friend! Even though you said there wasn't going to be a need for one, what with the clear design, i'm sure you're gonna do somethin' for it...

You don't need to see any identification.