Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Xwing's clear saber

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, it gets those dang micro scratches... oh well, nothing I can do about it.

Yup, I'm using the heatsink you made me. Very spiffy. Total loving overkill but it looks good.

I'll be cutting out the shelf to put the board on tomorrow.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I was wondering about this saber... I remember hearing about it a year ago or so.

SWEET, X...!!

I've been thinking about some kind of transparent + extra greebly LEDs in the hilt ever since BOP I, so I can only wonder if I'll ever do it.

Very cool, only wish we could see it at C4...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm glad you like it. I still have to do some little tweaks, but I've been doing that to a lot of my sabers now. Slowly working through my list...

I WISH I could go to C4. I probably would have swung it if it was still in Indiana, but being across the coast made it prohibitively expensive.

Someday I'd like to go to DragonCon and I figure MegaCon will be my one convention at least.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I have no clue what happened but the bugger stopped working... I've charged it and played with it multiple times. Batteries are good, speaker and LED are fine. Danged board just crapped out me.

Whatever... It got scratched to hell removing it so it'll be on to the third PolyC shell. I really had planned on a better board setup so I'm going to re-do it and have it ready for MegaCon again.

Upgrades will probably be:
    -Aluminum sleeve for blade holder
    -Ultrasound... I figure I'm not going to be messing with pulling it out so the SD card wouldn't be viable on Erv's. I really don't plan on having multiples with the same sounds so this will be my one with it.
    -Board in a sinktube craddle so I can hide the wires. More secure... probably the downfall of this current board.
    -Recharge port will be moved. It over shadowed the crystal.
    -Going to keep existing battery/crystal chassis, but will cover batteries with sinktube. It'll be seamless and that was my original plan to make it look like a powercell anyway.
    -Premium speaker... resonation sucked on this saber.

Good part is this is just a lot of components. So it's not like I ruined a $100+ hilt. This is probably one of my cheaper sabers.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Long time never posted. You're saber turned out great! Sorry the board got toasted. It's been so long that I don't know what to do. Good to see you guys.
    There is no apathy; there is Compassion.
    There is no fear; there is Faith.
    There is no despair; there is Hope.
    There is no hate; there is Love.
    There is no death; there is Christ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah... this will go on the back burner. For a bit. It's neat but I've got other ones I'd like to futz with.

Honestly I almost want to hit people that told be to add grips and stuff. Or decorate it... defeats the purpose.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Honestly I almost want to hit people that told be to add grips and stuff. Or decorate it... defeats the purpose.
    It's the curse of the sabersmith... we fall to dark side as a result of rage toward those who don't "get" our work - and make stupid comments.

My favorite is...
    "that's a nice saber - but the hasbro ones have a blade that shoots out!"

I gave him a nice emitter shaped dent in the head! (not really - wanted to though).

MC

It reminds me of one of those see-through controllers.

I'm electronically retarded.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Holy 6-month-old-thread-revival batman!
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Just wait until I actually revive this! I've made the bottom half and soldered up my CF. I just need time. Once I move out and finish finals this will be at the top of my list to work on (besides customer stuff).

I put up a youtube clip.

Basically the battery will be hidden in a brass tube. The CF will be on a nice sled. All the wires will be tucked in neatly on the side. It should look seamless that way. Then I caved on the idea of some decoration... I'm going to have a control box because I figured a good way to help the "no wires" end.

Lastly, I got some aluminum to make a blade holder. So it will be better looking, sturdier and with a CF (V1.2) it will be all the more kick ass.

EDIT: Dang, I just looked at the whole thread... this has been everywhere. I've changed around so much on this then it fried. Bah... If I can still lock this I will. Don't worry if I do I'll start a new thread once I have work done.
    Last edited by xwingband; 04-20-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    RED LEADER Standing by!