Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Something to NOT do whilst using your benchgrinder

Ha, I was cutting an outline of my Starkiller armor from a trashcan, and I had my finger too close, and the grinding wheel I was using cut down to the bone on my index finger.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Strong Dremel-fu can often lead you astray.

Did you know that if you spill a significant amount of super-glue on your jeans, you should NOT grab the bottle of cyanoacrilate accelerator spray and "give it a good spritzing".

LAVA IS HOT.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Agh, why would you do that? Isn't the accelerator a basically a catalyst? Isn't heat released in that sort of reaction? Yikes.

Years ago, I was using a wire wheel at work to clean Loctite off the outside of a bearing, putting a lot of pressure against the wheel and my hand slipped, pushing my hand into the wheel. One of the square wires went into the tip of my finger and broke off below the skin.

I was in a lot of pain, and had to get that wire out so I used some alcohol and a flame to sterilize a new X-acto knife blade and the tips of some tweezers and cut an X in my finger and started digging around inside the opening with the tweezers till I could feel the wire, then got hold of it and pulled it out. Then slapped a bandaid on it and went back to work. I thought that was pretty "manly" of me.

A couple months ago, I was cutting off the end of a too long screw with a heavy duty cut off wheel on my Dremel. The wheel caught in the cut and shattered in my face. My safety glasses did their job, but a big piece of that wheel hit me in the lower lip, giving me a fat lip with a blood blister in the center of the swelling. Maybe it's time to start using a face shield?

I don't know too many other women (if any) who damage themselves while using power tools.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

J-LO that was uber-manly of you. Rock on! Wanna try my lathe?
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

That's some war story material there! I've been quite lucky myself. The occasional soldering burn or splinter. But I don't recall anything serious.

Superglue is already very reactive with cotton to begin with. You can start a campfire with a cottonball and a tube of superglue.

Add the accelerant to the mix and it cures completely, right NOW.

It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea just long enough for you to do it and realize it was "a bad idea".

I think that like many such accidents and stupid moves, I was either in a hurry or pre-occupied with what I was doing. Tried to deal with another new problem without shifting focus away toward that new problem and poof.

Did you know that those little "wire brush cups" that Dremel sells are NOT meant to be run at 30K rpm? you really should have the variable speed dremel for those. The dang thing pretty much disintegrated as soon as I turned it on. had one of the little wires stuck just in the inside corner of my eyelid. (doh).

And yeah J-L0, that sounds like a classic "tape it and play" moment. Props.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

I stopped using the cut off wheel in the dremel , 'cause of too many flying pieces. Now I hold put the bolt/screw in a nut, hold it with a vise grip and use a belt sander to take the screw down to size.
    Darth Flatulous

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, I don't have access to a belt sander, or I'd use it for the same thing.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I got this 1" belt sander on sale + I had a 20% off coupon, I think I paid ~ $30. It has a real small footprint, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-
    2485.html

You can see how small it is in @ 2:18 in LDM's virtual workshop tour:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?t=11150
    Last edited by Ingchao; 08-10-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Darth Flatulous

Default not related to building but just as dumb/funny.

We used to have four German Short haired pointers. We lived in a very hot part of CA. and the summer was proving to be really bad. We put a plastic kids pool out back for them but they needed shade, and our trees we planted the previous year was not cutting it. My wife went and bought a nice aluminum and canvass shade (Gazeebo) 250.00, and the next day they had chewed it to shreds... As I go back there to look at the damage one of them is hanging from one of the shreds! I got the hose and doused all three, one got away. Being that I was livid I started disassembly rather ruffly and one of the alluminum tubes poped out of the plastic connecting piece and smacked me right in the face! I had the worst black eye ever and there wasn't even a cool story why!! Damn dogs!! LOL