Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something to NOT do whilst using your benchgrinder

Default Something to NOT do whilst using your benchgrinder

Don't reach out with your left hand to adjust the "spark shield" and miss, grabbing the wheel instead.

Strangely enough, the skin on your index finger and thumb are a lot softer than the grinding wheel that is spinning at normal rpms.

Couldn't see bone, but there wasn't a lot left between air and there.

Probably not as stupid as the time I shot my house with an AK-47 I was building, but the dumbest thing I did today, anyway.

This PSA brought to you by the foundation for 10 fingered machinists.
    Last edited by Arkhan; 08-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Council Member
    Jedi Master

This will be put down on the list right next to "don't grab at swarf on the lathe with bare hands" Its like razor wire.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Oh ouch that's aweful!

I think I might have touched it before and nothing happened...not about to try it again.

The worst thing that happened to me so far is a reinforced cut off blade broke and bounced off my safety glasses...no it wasn't on the grinder.

my current eyeglasses have a nice semi-circular cut in them from a piece of 1/2" copper tubing that bounced off the belt sander. I had goggles on, lifted them up to inspect work, decided to touch said work back to the sander for one little milli-squiggen more, and the grinder took it right out of my fingers and threw it into my face at not-insignificant speed.

Glad I wear glasses.

The cut isn't in my direct line of sight, but I should get that lens framed and put next to the piece of shee trock that has the bullet keyholed through it. I keep that one to remind myself that regardless of your familiarity with dangerous tools/weapons, they can and will bite you with zero warning if you become complacent.

Die grinders are bad too. Hold them real tight & keep fingers away or you'll put a notch in your finer like me.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Belt sanders are the worst. I once took all the skin off my right hand with one of those. All because my little brother grabbed me and scared me.

Arkhan, are you in that Kalashnikov collector's club? The only rifle I've ever fired is an M16A2. It's not as clumsy or random as an AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Arkhan, are you in that Kalashnikov collector's club? The only rifle I've ever fired is an M16A2. It's not as clumsy or random as an AK.
    True but not near as powerful. And Kalashknikovs clean better, and can be rebuilt if damaged easier.

Anyways my two cents, reciprocating saw + PVC + hand too close = very nice scar on my thumb
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

I don't recall joining any Kalashnikov's collector club.

I used to frequent the guns.net forums, both for Mosin-Nagant and AK afficienados. I've been "off" my gun kick for a few years now but I still have them all. Put a few rounds through my brother's nice 1943 war-production M91/30 a few weeks back.

Ouch...I hope you're going well. It seems you've got dangerous hobbies. My soldering burns seem to be nothing compared to this war veterans thread.