Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luxeon Driver

Default Luxeon Driver

I was cruising eBay and I saw this driver for the 3w LEDs. Would this be better than a buckpuck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3w-LED-Driver-MB...item35ab24593b

BTW this is my first post here, so I hope this hasn't been brought up already. I didn't see anything when I searched.

Fire extinguisher at the ready.

The shop here has way better drivers.

& no that is junk for our proposes.

I figured it would be a cheaper alternative to the buckpuck, but better than an in-line resistor. You are probably right, though. Just out of curiosity, what makes it bad? I'm not versed enough in circuit board tech, yet.

the first thing I see wrong with it is that its minimum input voltage starts at 9v

though I would be very interested in seeing thermal images of our hobbies driver boards... that one looks like it gets pretty warm. but Im sure at 9v+ most any of our drivers get warm too..... Im looking at you Ultrasound

Would a 9v battery work with it?

No. And why would you use one of these?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Because he doesn't know why a 9V battery isn't good to use in an LED lightsaber?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    No. And why would you use one of these?
    I said why, already. As a cheaper alternative to a buckpuck that is better than an in-line resistor. You keep saying no, but you don't say why. I'm looking for someone to tell me why it is bad, not just 'no'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Because he doesn't know why a 9V battery isn't good to use in an LED lightsaber?
    Correct, I have not come across any posts saying why a 9v is bad for a lightsaber. I see 9v attachments sold in the store and when I search for 9v or 9 volt I see nothing. If you could explain, that would be great.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Those are either for attaching AAA or AA battery pack that have the same snap clip attachment, or they are from the old EL stuff that Tim has gotten rid of most of the other stuff for.

EL sabers could run on 9V batteries.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!