Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Copper and Aluminum Don't Mix

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    *head falls on keyboard*
    not again...
    Hahaha.

I did find the problem. I tested the heatsink, and the power was flowing right through. There was actual corrosion due to the electricity between the copper heatsink and the aluminum Lux V. The lux V has corrosion all over the back side (the side touching the copper) The metals were not the problem in and of themselves. Fender's sound advice was well taken, and no offense was meant/ and or taken.

My problem and questions have been solved thanks to Arkhan, FenderBender, and others who pointed to the same conclusions.

Thank you!
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

Quote Originally Posted by polarcupz View Post
    Hahaha.

I did find the problem. I tested the heatsink, and the power was flowing right through. There was actual corrosion due to the electricity between the copper heatsink and the aluminum Lux V. The lux V has corrosion all over the back side (the side touching the copper) The metals were not the problem in and of themselves. Fender's sound advice was well taken, and no offense was meant/ and or taken.

My problem and questions have been solved thanks to Arkhan, FenderBender, and others who pointed to the same conclusions.

Thank you!
    Glad everything worked out! Theirs nothing more frustrating than a gremlin in a lightsaber!

One thing that I have been doing as well for my builds has been to polish the back of the LED base (where the heat is transfered to the the heatsink) and the surface of the heatsink itself where the LED is mounted. In many cases I can't get to a build right away and there will be a patina on the metals. This way, if I remove that patina with polishing compound (and some careful dremel work) this will allow both surfaces to conduct heat better through the back of the LED.

I forget which saber builder I saw do that on the threads here as it was some time ago that I saw it, but it seemed to work rather nice. Also, making sure that you are only stripping away just enough of your wire to solder to the terminal on the LED is important. Too often it's a simple error such as this that can cause current to flow through other parts of the saber that shouldn't be conducting ANY electricity.

Hopefully this may help some.

Psab
    Follow Your Bliss

I think I did this once when wiring a saber as a stunt before the sound went in and it was over heating around the blade holder so I assume this is why. I think my leads were bare just a little too much and touching the edge of the star.

very glad to hear that you found your problem. I know I learned something along the way, and I'll store that lil tidbit away for future troubleshooting endeavors.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build