Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Copper and Aluminum Don't Mix

You didn't drop any accusations, perhaps we read some in.

I hope you have your problem figured out with the star base and your saber continues to bring years of geeky enjoyment to you and yours.

I'll file away "corrosion due to grounding of star base" into my bank of "wierd stuff that can happen sometimes, so don't dismiss it out of hand"

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

I'm always amazed how quickly some people jump on others that seek help...

To the OP check your wiring, maybe theirs something putting current through the copper heatsink.

Edit: Seems i have crossed FB's path, and i do apologize. No harm meant, just pointing out something that disturbed me.
    Last edited by Ronan; 08-09-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Way to go stirring up trouble. No one "jumped" on the OP. He seemed to be worried about the combination of materials (unwarranted) and we told him to look elsewhere for the issue. Everything was just fine until YOU started throwing accusations around.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Way to go stirring up trouble. No one "jumped" on the OP. He seemed to be worried about the combination of materials (unwarranted) and we told him to look elsewhere for the issue. Everything was just fine until YOU started throwing accusations around.
    I personally have nothing against you, but you come off really strong in your posts.

Maybe try decaff? I know it did wonder for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Try decaff.
    You people really don't get what kind of forum you joined do you...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    You people really don't get what kind of forum you joined do you...
    No, please explain for 'us people'...

Yes i am new here, i found the forum after making a couple purchases at TCSS.

I see a lot of individuals helping people in need and then i see the odd individual(s) that seems to take pleasure at taking stabs at people in need.

Which to me is quite rude.

Now i do understand this is 'the internet' and this forum is a little niche for some people, but i do not see how because of that it's acceptable to comport one-self poorly.

Now i do want to make this clear: I do not have anything against anyone, and i am not stirring up trouble, but just pointing out something that disturbed me and i really have nothing else to say about this.
    (Like i said, we have better things to do than internet fights...).

Cheer and MTFBWY
    Last edited by Ronan; 08-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.

What you need to realize is that this is a Do It Yourself forum. This is a forum to collect and distribute information for those who want to learn "how to" do things in this hobby. Simply by the nature of what this forum is, people MUST be willing to learn, and by that i mean look for and assimilate information. Some people here take that one step further and spend their time and money to fund innovation so that others, like you, who are new will have an even better hobby to come to.

People like Fender have spent hours upon hours teaching, being patient with, and even outright dealing with, new people such as yourself. People such as him have given much to the hobby and if they express their opinions and those opinions are not listened to? I believe they have EARNED the right to be a little testy. Most of the time no one is blatantly hostile, rude or otherwise hurtful. People who join this hobby need to learn what being Critcal means. We are a detail oriented hobby, if you want a quality product you have to be. If you want butterflies and rainbows, go elsewhere....

People who have joined the forum for a week, miss the years of relationships that are built while showing your worth in this hobby... people have been "burned" too many times by new people who take advantage of helpful people and do nothing for themselves. So show a little respect.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Back on track here...

Copper naturally tarnishes over time. There is a possibility that the combination of heat and weathering caused it to 'appear' that there is corrosion. High humidity will accelerate the problem.

That is why when you see sterling silverware tarnish, its not because of the silver. It's because of the 7.5% copper content.

Quote from Jay...
    Aluminum and cast iron don't mix either, yet auto manufacturers have been using aluminum cylinder heads on cast iron engine blocks for decades....the reason they can do it? The head gaskets separate the two metals enough that the corrosion never happens. It's the same with the thermal tape and your led's aluminum base plate.
    QFT, not to mention the layer of oil between the two. Tim sells thermal paste and the stars specially made for the LED stars at a very reasonable price.

Quote from Arkhan...
    so if I'm leading you on a wild goose chase, I hope they'll step in and provide some gentle correction.
    I misread that the first time skimming over it...
    Last edited by RevengeoftheSeth; 08-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    What you need to realize is that this is a Do It Yourself forum. This is a forum to collect and distribute information for those who want to learn "how to" do things in this hobby. Simply by the nature of what this forum is, people MUST be willing to learn, and by that i mean look for and assimilate information. Some people here take that one step further and spend their time and money to fund innovation so that others, like you, who are new will have an even better hobby to come to.

People like Fender have spent hours upon hours teaching, being patient with, and even outright dealing with, new people such as yourself. People such as him have given much to the hobby and if they express their opinions and those opinions are not listened to? I believe they have EARNED the right to be a little testy. Most of the time no one is blatantly hostile, rude or otherwise hurtful. People who join this hobby need to learn what being Critcal means. We are a detail oriented hobby, if you want a quality product you have to be. If you want butterflies and rainbows, go elsewhere....

People who have joined the forum for a week, miss the years of relationships that are built while showing your worth in this hobby... people have been "burned" too many times by new people who take advantage of helpful people and do nothing for themselves. So show a little respect.
    Thank you for the explication post, it's most appreciated

I know what it means to teach, i'm a Media Designer/Photographer by trade, and i spent just as much time teaching to curious people (usually for free... lol) and i understand how repetitive questions get ANNOYING!

Most of us have been there in our professional career, but that doesn't excuse anyone to blow off some steam or what ever the expression is (English is my second language).

About respect. Respect is earned, and I'm sure he earned his respect a long time ago (i believe i earned mine when i single handily mounted a company at the age of 18 and juggled university with it, or when i went to Afghanistan for humanitarian aids, but you wouldn't know about that, and i wouldn't know about FB). But thats not the issue at hand, to me, someone that just arrives on the forums (i'm not a big forum guy, i have always preferred face to face), and i see someone having short temper (or what ever you want to call it) to someone else seeking help is quite simply wrong/rude and just didn't sit right with me (maybe the 10 hours of driving adds up to it? Or getting a ticket for making a left turn i have been making for 4 years but suddenly you and the 6 other cars can't!!! lol).

So to summon everything up, i log in, see a lot of people helping, and then i see some individuals being short with newbies and i found that... strange/disturbing (since it did not flow with the feel/attitude of this forum).

Again, thanks for the answer Shadar, much appreciated mate and like RevengeoftheSeth commented, back to the topic!
    Last edited by Ronan; 08-09-2010 at 08:15 PM.

*head falls on keyboard*
    not again...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent