Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper and Aluminum Don't Mix

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    you shouldn't NEED a brass buffer unless you want it aesthetic reasons.
    Because, we all know that copper and brass look good together...

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    Because, we all know that copper and brass look good together...
    Nah, it's just the knowledge that there is a CF in there

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Corrosion Found.

I have corosion between my Lux V and my copper heatsink. Any suggestions?

give up?

seriously... thermal tape? don't know what else to tell you...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    give up?
    I will NEVER give up. There must be a way. Thermal tape might work. I haven't tried it yet, but it would keep the two apart. I hadn't opened the saber up in a while(1 yr maybe?).

Council Member
    Jedi Master

For a while, we used thermal grease. We opened up a saber we did a year ago for an upgrade and there was no corrosion. The heatsink was a little tarnished, but no evident deteriation otherwise. This thread really is pointless to continue. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by polarcupz View Post
    Corrosion Found.

I have corosion between my Lux V and my copper heatsink. Any suggestions?
    You're sure its not just the patina of the heatsink?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I will try to get a pic when I get home. Oh and thanks fender, that is really nice of you, very supportive. Whatever. It is all over the bottom of the lux V, not as much on the copper...but that is how the corrosion is supposed to work (copper will eat away at the aluminum).

If this thread should not be continued I will let it die, along with my lux V.

Quote Originally Posted by polarcupz View Post
    I will try to get a pic when I get home. Oh and thanks fender, that is really nice of you, very supportive. Whatever. It is all over the bottom of the lux V, not as much on the copper...but that is how the corrosion is supposed to work (copper will eat away at the aluminum).

If this thread should not be continued I will let it die, along with my lux V.
    I've been using the copper heatsinks in my personal MHS sabers for two years, and have not had an issue with corrosion in any of them, nor have any of my led's died. i've always ued either the thermal paste he mentions, or the star-shaped thermal tape Tim sells here in the store when I mount the led's. What Fender says is true...it's really not a big deal. Do you really think if it wasn't safe, that Tim would be selling copper heatsinks in the first place?

Aluminum and cast iron don't mix either, yet auto manufacturers have been using aluminum cylinder heads on cast iron engine blocks for decades....the reason they can do it? The head gaskets separate the two metals enough that the corrosion never happens. It's the same with the thermal tape and your led's aluminum base plate.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 08-05-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    I've been using the copper heatsinks in my personal MHS sabers for two years, and have not had an issue with corrosion in any of them, nor have any of my led's died. i've always ued either the thermal paste he mentions, or the star-shaped thermal tape Tim sells here in the store when I mount the led's. What Fender says is true...it's really not a big deal. Do you really think if it wasn't safe, that Tim would be selling copper heatsinks in the first place?

Aluminum and cast iron don't mix either, yet auto manufacturers have been using aluminum cylinder heads on cast iron engine blocks for decades....the reason they can do it? The head gaskets separate the two metals enough that the corrosion never happens. It's the same with the thermal tape and your led's aluminum base plate.
    Yeah... what he said.
    Jay always has the most thorough explanations.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.