Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Copper and Aluminum Don't Mix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Copper and Aluminum Don't Mix

I have been reading around, and have found many articles and testimonials that say not to mix copper and aluminum. The heat sinks for the MHS are copper, whereas the MHS are aluminum. Won't this cause corrosion after time in the lightsaber? Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't decide whether to put it here or in misc.
    Last edited by polarcupz; 07-30-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I havent seen any adverse effects in the last couple of years of my use of the MHS system. I think that in a different application, that might apply but the heatsink is just sandwiched between the Blade Holder and the hilt/choke etc. and not in a high stress environment.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If there was moisture, or an acidic environment, then you could get some galvanic corrosion, but for what we do, it's fine to use them together. Just don't get your saber wet.

Ok that helps a good deal but what about us poor souls that live in hot humid places like the US gulf coast states? Average daily forcast has been 94f and 90+% humidity.

I wouldnt worry about it... if you want to keep worrying you can. but you will come up with a thousand different things to worry about..... so its totally up to you.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Many computer heatsinks use a copper core and aluminum fins with nary a problem.

Some dissimilar metals will cause corrosion in the short term.

In the case of Aluminum and Copper Electrical wiring, different thermal expansion co-efficients would cause loose connections and potentially, fires.

That's why houses don't use aluminum electrical wiring unless they have outlets and connectors designed for use with aluminum. It was a problem back in the 60s and 70s, and houses of that era.

Fear not.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Thanks for the replies! I will try not to get any of my sabers soaked. Oh and what about a lightsaber shroud made of copper? I have been thinking about doing this with a brass sink tube "buffer" so to speak so they don't touch. I will have to post on a different thread when I get around to making the shroud.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Dude, really. DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. I lived in FL for 26 years, wasn't a problem when we lived there. Copper shrouds wouldn't cause any problems and you shouldn't NEED a brass buffer unless you want it aesthetic reasons.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Okay, no worries then. Thanks everyone for your help!