Thread: Extensions and main body question

Default Extensions and main body question

Would it look weird of the extension (not a choke combo) was pommel side instead of blade side?
    Alot of the examples I have looked at seem to have extensions blade side but I was thinking of doing a Hilt style 3 with a 4 inch fluted connector on the pommel side. Good, bad, awful?

Really it's all a matter of opinion, lightsabers by design are suppose to be personal. And that tradition carries over into this hobby. So if it looks good, bad, awful is all up to you. Personally I think that extensions + a main body = too long of a saber. But I've thought of using a ribbed extension as just a handle before. I prefer sabers between 10"-12" long. Your best bet is of course the MHS builder. If you want everyones' opinion I recommend using that to mimic your design and then posting the render. Good luck. I want to see what you have in mind.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

just pretend I put all the O rings in the right spot, yes I like LONG hilts, easier to use two hands

Looks fine to me. I don't own a fluted piece and I'm not sure if the inner diameter is smaller than standard MHS parts (ribbed extensions are). If so you'll want to take that into account when you design the electronic setup. But I don't think that's much to worry about since you have tons of room in a saber that size. I say go for it.
    Last edited by Tahm; 07-29-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The ID of the fluted piece is the same as a normal MHS piece
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by const View Post

just pretend I put all the O rings in the right spot, yes I like LONG hilts, easier to use two hands
    Well, if we put aside aesthetical considerations, your first concern must be the ID. Some extensions have smaller ID, and this may cause issues if you plan to use battery/speaker combos, etc... Electronics sometimes affect the outer design (unless you're a skilled saber maker) so keep it always in mind. Good luck with your saber

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Doon View Post
    Well, if we put aside aesthetical considerations, your first concern must be the ID. Some extensions have smaller ID, and this may cause issues if you plan to use battery/speaker combos, etc... Electronics sometimes affect the outer design (unless you're a skilled saber maker) so keep it always in mind. Good luck with your saber
    See above post from LDM.

Fluted is the same as the main body you have, ribbed and v grooved are smaller. I believe the MHS gear will hold a batt speaker combo. You ideally want the blade retention screw in the other side to push againts the longer side of that bladeholder.

With that design you should be ok, though it is a little long.

Oops. Sorry LM
    Last edited by Invisas1979; 07-31-2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Invisas is right on all counts, except that I'm LM not LDM
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!