Thread: Wall thickness of blade holders: How thin is too thin?

Default Wall thickness of blade holders: How thin is too thin?

I have a question for the more experienced saber builders that have done their own machining...

I have a blade holder that will insert into a hilt body, about 5/8" (no threads, it will be held in with four 6-32 (or 8-32) screws). The I.D. of this particular hilt is roughly 1.055 so the part of the blade holder that inserts into it will be a hair smaller in diameter.

If I want the main LED optics to fit inside the part of the blade holder that inserts into the hilt (which is not a must but would be nice), the wall thickness of that part of the blade holder would be around 1/16" (.0625), perhaps a hair over). I'm concerned that this may be too thin to stand up to medium dueling. I can of course have the optics below the blade holder and have the wall thickness of that part of the blade holder be much thicker thus negating my problem. However having the optics in the blade holder gives me a little more room in the hilt for uneccessary extras, lol. Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-27-2010 at 01:32 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

On the MHS parts on the female threads it gets as thin as .065"
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Being as it is the blade holder area where there is a lot of stress I would make it at least 0.85. I made the mistake of trying to make one .035" from the OD of the hilt to the deepest part of the thread and it snapped into with the first blade hit. (That was on Redemptor and I had to remake the whole part)

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php