Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Crystal Chamber

Thanks but the welds are pretty visible. I leave a little extra around the edges for strength & shave excess off with a exacto knife.

The key to keep from making a mess is to pre tin surfaces to be joined & not adding too much solder. You must practice to feel the flow of the solder.

Banned Sith Lord

holy wow man. look at all this stuff ive been missin!!! thats so amazing man. i love that you use lasers. ima have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by B5813 View Post
    That's definitely a unique looking chamber for sure. Never seen such extensive soldering to keep parts together. As for the idea of using some polycarb tube to simulate the blade being ignited lower in the crystal chamber... I rather like the idea. Not for this particular build but I'm already putting it together in my mind for something personal.
    The only potential sticking point to the mini polyc tube is light refraction, will you get the same emminance from the crystals with a polyc tube in front of it. I don't know that you will.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Wow this is really nice. I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it. It looks a bit too nicely crafted to be a lightsaber though. Unless it's from a period where sabers where more ornately crafted. I got the impression sabers were hand made from appropriated parts but I guess that is mostly due to the fact that I have some serious OT conditioning..lol. In one pic you can see the holes reflected on the lens. Very nice. I'm curious to see the saber this goes into.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Wow this is really nice. I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it. It looks a bit too nicely crafted to be a lightsaber though. Unless it's from a period where sabers where more ornately crafted. I got the impression sabers were hand made from appropriated parts but I guess that is mostly due to the fact that I have some serious OT conditioning..lol. In one pic you can see the holes reflected on the lens. Very nice. I'm curious to see the saber this goes into.
    Royalty, 'nuff said
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it. It looks a bit too nicely crafted to be a lightsaber though. Unless it's from a period where sabers where more ornately crafted. I got the impression sabers were hand made from appropriated parts but I guess that is mostly due to the fact that I have some serious OT conditioning..lol.
    Ok you OTed and I OGed. I was trying to make it pretty but it did end up looking more like jewelry than I intended. My daughter wants a necklace now.

What parts do you think makes it too ornate? Too many curves, the color, the symmetry?

Hmm. Maybe it does need some straight SW OT type lines.

Not that my opinion was asked for, (so feel free to disregard it completely...) but IMO i think its the cut of the crystals, throw a couple double terminated points in there and it would look fairly "normal" i also think all the brass adds that "pretty" feel to it.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Shadar makes a good point but I think for me it's mostly due to the fact that it all appears so consistent.

Not that my opinion was asked for, (so feel free to disregard it completely...) but IMO i think its the cut of the crystals, throw a couple double terminated points in there and it would look fairly "normal" i also think all the brass adds that "pretty" feel to it.
    Any feedback is appreciated. One of the crystals is a double terminated point. I went with symmetrically cut crystals for a more refined looking chamber & so the laser light could be transferred from one end to the other.

It was tricky to get the light to go through the crystals evenly.

I thought this was kinda like focusing the crystals.

I don't think the cuts are too far off SW. The more round cut crystal reminded me of the kaiburr crystal used in kotor.

But I know as per the poll I did opinion is widespread on this subject.

I love brass but I agree there may be just too much of that color here.

More feedback is welcome.

Shadar makes a good point but I think for me it's mostly due to the fact that it all appears so consistent.
    You mean too symmetrical?
    Last edited by Sunrider; 07-26-2010 at 05:29 PM.

I wouldn't suggest that you change it but I think it should suit the saber it goes in. Like I said early definately not OT style, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

When I say consistent I mean too much brass of similar weight and finish. It also looks very lens oriented and could use some more tech/industrial "greeblies"