Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Crystal Chamber

Thanks guys. The pieces are all soldered together if you couldn't tell. Also the main support tubes are hollow. The pics don't really show.

would you happen to know where to source such a laser?
    I'm using one of these. Good quality & power for the price.

http://modwerx.com/shop/olike-4050mw...v-dc-p-55.html

what if you made it look like the lightsaber beam were actually passing through and over the crystals? I have only a vague idea of how to do this:
    I have thought some about making the beam more visible but haven't found anything good. One thing that is hard to overcome is to make the clear crystals light up better you must disperse the light & some beam is lost.

I like that you got them from a website that sells them as "Healing Crystals" and you put them in a lightsaber....anyway
    Yeah they all seem to be that way. It seem to go with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post

Oooooooooooooooooohh......

I second Xoultrain's comment. Wow man, that is a nice GREEN crystal chamber! Love it.

That is just fantastic!
    I am a Jedi...unlike my father before me.

Quote Originally Posted by RuleOfTwo View Post
    First of all, Well done! That is some cool looking hardware. Plus, I like that you got them from a website that sells them as "Healing Crystals" and you put them in a lightsaber....anyway

I have one suggestion for an improvement. At the moment, it will appear as though you have two crystals that are lit up in the hilt. It does look badass, BUT, what if you made it look like the lightsaber beam were actually passing through and over the crystals? I have only a vague idea of how to do this:

Use a thin-walled tube of polycarb with a small amount of cellophane wrap inside. Place this tube over the crystals and, when lit up, it would appear as if the crystals were in the path of a weak beam (due to the small amount of cellophane) and that, after the crystals have "focused" the energy, it becomes a strong beam (i.e. your blade leaving the hilt). Or, you could forget the polycarb piece and just wrap the cellophane around the crystals. I have no idea if this would work with a laser light source though....anyway, there it is. Do with it what you will
    Waaaaay too pointless to do, which I think you may have realised by the end of your post. It would take a rebuild of the chamber and as it is the chamber is unique compared to what we've been seeing lately and very good.

Good job sunrider, everyone is getting on the crystal chamber bandwagon at the moment and it's moving the hobby forward in a very exciting direction.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Actually, Invisas1979, I realised it was somewhat "pointless" at the beginning of the post, lol. It would take a lot of work to implement my suggestion into Sunrider's design. He asked for suggestions, and that was the only thing that came to mind, seeing as how it was such a good design to start with

It was more of a suggestion for future builds....something interesting for someone with time to burn.

That looks fantastic. But how do you solder the parts together? Do you use the same solder and iron that you would use with the wiring, or do you have plumbing solder for that?

I used all brass for this chamber. Brass is very easy to work with and can be soldered making a versatile combination.

For the small parts here like the rings around the crystals a normal iron works. For the bigger stuff you need more power. I use one of these torches with my work on top of a ceramic floor tile with ferrite cubes around the edge to protect my table & so things cant roll away.

http://www.amazon.com/Portasol-01188...000873&sr=1-84

I clean the metal good then use rosin core alloy solder so I don't have to mess with flux.

Well soldered joints are surprisingly strong. Construction can be quite tricky though. If you heat stuff incorrectly it can quickly turn into a pile of parts.

The ring in the middle with the six nubs was interesting to do. They kept trying to fall out.

That's definitely a unique looking chamber for sure. Never seen such extensive soldering to keep parts together. As for the idea of using some polycarb tube to simulate the blade being ignited lower in the crystal chamber... I rather like the idea. Not for this particular build but I'm already putting it together in my mind for something personal.

Default Very Sick

would you mind telling me how you did that? if you soldered it the welds are not very noticeable if at all
    "He who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."