Thread: My Hardware Droid Caller

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default My Hardware Droid Caller

After re-reading this tutorial on the Blaster Builder's club a few months back. I decided to see if I could make a simpler version using fewer parts, that looked more accurate, and do it mostly with parts I already had on hand.

It was also a prop I'd want to have to use with the Moisture Farmer costume I was thinking of doing.

I started looking through my parts drawers to see what I could use, already knowing that a piece of 1 1/2" sink tube would be the main body. I needed something for the "emitter" and a 1" PVC plug would fit into the top with just a little sanding.

I wanted to do the silver version of the Kobold flash, not the black one like people are more familiar with:

Next, I started looking through a box of hardware and switches and pulled out a small momentary switch, some different sizes of finish washers, a picture hanger and some interesting lamp hardware.

I sanded down the lip of the PVC plug till it just fit inside the piece of sink tube. Then I marked and drilled my holes in the sink tube and plug for the hardware and switch. Then I did a test fit of the switch and hardware:

That's a finishing nail inside the "emitter".

Later, I switched out the black allen head cap screw for a silver one that looked better. I also lightly sanded the sink tube to give it sort of a "brushed" finish and make it not so shiny.

I decided that I didn't like the way the switch I had looked, and since I needed to go to RadioShack to get a buzzer anyway, I picked up a package of smaller momentary switches.

"A buzzer?", you might ask? Yes, I didn't want this to be a static prop, I wanted this to "do" something, in this case, make noise. I took my cue from the original tutorial.

Here are the parts I ended up using:

Clickable thumbnail with all the parts tagged.

Not pictured is extra wire, a small strip of styrene, pop rivets and 2 different finishing nails. I ended up not using the square aluminum tube because my idea for it didn't work.

I wanted to add the extra ridged ring you see on the real flash, so I cut a strip of thin styrene and used hot water to bend it into a circle.

I roughed up the edge of the sink tube where the ring would attach, then mixed up some 2-part epoxy and glued the ring on, using some small clamps to hold it in place while the epoxy cured. After a couple of hours, I took an X-acto knife and made the ridges around the ring.

I also used my tubing cutter to make a groove about 1/4" from the top of the "emitter" and used a jeweler's file to widen it a bit. Then I also made ridges around the top of that piece.

Now it was time to glue the PVC plug in place with more epoxy. After a couple more hours (just for good measure, even though it was 5 min. epoxy), to hold the ring ends and the emitter in better (or just to give myself a little peace of mind), I drilled a small hole at the seam where the ends of the styrene ring came together, through the sink tube and into the PVC plug, then used a larger drill bit to counter sink it a little. Then I took a finishing nail that I cut down to about 3/8", put a drop of super glue on it and pushed it into the hole.

Then it was time for paint. I did the black first. Before the paint was fully cured, I took a pencil and added this detail from the real flash, by drawing rings that removed the black paint, though you can't see it in my pics of my prop:

After giving the paint a day to cure, I painted the silver on the ridged ring and the emitter.

Then next day it was time for the final assembly. First I mounted the round knob, then my buzzer circuit (pre-tested, of course) and lastly, I riveted the picture hanger in place.

Here are some finished pics. I kept them small, because then they look less blurry from my crappy camera.

Here it is on my belt, before I decided to move it back by mounting a hook behind the D-ring mount:

Here's a teaser detail pic of it on my finished costume, after weathering it a bit:

Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 07-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Looks really good Lori
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks, Don.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Looks good.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thank you.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Very cool. Adding this type of detail to an authentic looking costume is both fun an impressive. I hope to get more into costuming soon myself once I get a few more builds done.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Looks good Lori, great job

Amazing! I like the blaster and your specific, ingenious touches to the droid caller
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~