Thread: Frosted lenses

Default Frosted lenses

Hi. I've searched the forums but haven't found any discussion on this:
    Instead of the standard clear LED lens has anyone considered using a frosted lens like this carclo in order to get a "fuller" blade? Pros? Cons?

TIA,
    Dave

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I haven't heard of anyone using frosted lenses before.

Certainly nobody would want to use a 19 degree lens, like your link leads to, it wouldn't send enough light up to the tip of the blade, especially if you like longer blades.

I see they have frosted 12 degree lenses, but that probably wouldn't work well for 3/4" blades.

Why don't you be the first to try it?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

That 19 degrees is total beam width - so really 9.5. I think i may try, it's just that being in Australia, it may take a while for the lens to arrive.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Diffusing the light BEFORE it reaches further diffusion may just reduce brightness and saturation and not give the results you're looking for. Though, trying it is the only way to tell for sure.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Diffusing the light BEFORE it reaches further diffusion may just reduce brightness and saturation and not give the results you're looking for. Though, trying it is the only way to tell for sure.
    my thoughts as well..

diffusing the light before it gets to where it needs to be is sorta 'defeating' the purpose IMHO..

your diffusing (spreading out) the light before it even gets to the 'blade'..

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I've played with frosted acrylic disks in some of my sabers. Doesn't really make much difference honestly.That close to the LED, it doesn't diffuse much.