Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Commonly used Drill bits, taps, and measurements

I am modding a MHS saber I built years ago to add a Vandal latching switch. I have all I need but I need to widen the hole on my hilt to fit the bigger switch (I formerly had a standard black latching switch). I am comfortable with drilling but I had a question about the bit and tap. As I understand it a tap is used to add threads. In the video CSS posted about switch holes it doesn't appear his 16mm hole is threaded as the switch drops right in. So my question is if I just want the switch to drop in and use the nut and bezel to secure it do I still need to tap the hole? Also is the bit in the initial post still the right size?

If you are using a nut, then no, you don't need to tap the hole.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by cakira21 View Post
    the 12mm AV switch will use a 7/16" drill bit and the tap you will need is a 12mm x 0.75" TAP i just bought the tap and i will be testing this out as soon as i get it in. i'll verify once i've tested to be certain.
    is this accurate?

What size bit would I use if I wanted to press fit it?

This chart will solve any questions about taps, and hole sizes.
    tapdrillchart.jpg

Not to be high maintenance, But i can't see the numbers very well on the chart and when I enlarge the image it gets all pixelated. So, can someone verify what size drill and tap bits for the 12mm Av switch?

Quote Originally Posted by cakira21 View Post
    the 12mm AV switch will use a 7/16" drill bit and the tap you will need is a 12mm x 0.75" TAP i just bought the tap and i will be testing this out as soon as i get it in. i'll verify once i've tested to be certain.
    Just wondering - was anyone able to confirm these parts for drilling and tapping the 12mm AV switches?

EDIT: Yes I can confirm 12mm x 0.75 tap for the 12mm AV switches. Also, the one I ordered came with an 11.3mm drill bit.
    Doesn't seem to be a common tap or threading for the US.
    Last edited by cannibal869; 01-16-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    LOCKHEED

I have a question about what tap and die set to use and I didn't see it elsewhere in this thread so I apologize if I am repeating this question. The standard threads used on the male and female ends of all the MHS parts to make all of the blade holders, chokes, extensions, etc compatible with each other. What tap and die are used with them? I was thinking about added some custom parts made on my mini lathe to my sabers and I want them to be able to attache to my MHS parts. Anyone know?

That info is proprietary.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 05-20-2016 at 06:59 AM.

I have been wondering all over the net looking for drill and tap size charts , this is such a blessing to have. Ty very much to all that contributed .
    " When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.”