Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Noob builder needs help...that's me

Well do you know what you want to have in your saber? Which LED? Sound?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Well do you know what you want to have in your saber? Which LED? Sound?
    I sure do. anything that is green will be LEDs and i would really like sound even if i have to tear apart a wal-mart saber.

Also I want the blade pretty bright. Thinking of switching to purple though.
    Last edited by MongooseDog; 07-11-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Post LED and Sound

If you want green then I'd go with a Seoul P4...but it's out of stock right now. If you want purple, they're discontinuing Luxeon IIIs on TCSS...try a Google search for a purple. As for sound, you can get a MR on eBay for about $50, or you can tear apart a cheap Hasbro saber, they have different sounds for different sabers. You'll probably want a light-side one, but dark side sounds are good too.
    Two there should be. No more. No less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it. -Darth Bane
    If a Luxeon III gets hot enough to melt...[hot]glue, something's wrong with your wiring! -Jay Gon Jinn

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There are no purple high powered LEDs, they don't exist.

There are 2 ways to get a purple blades.

1.) Use a white LED and some kind of filter. This will not be as bright as a pure colored LED, because you are filtering out all the other wavelengths but the purple.

2.) Use an RGB LED or another type that has multiple colored dies. You wire up the blue and red dies, but since the red over-powers the blue, you have to resistor the red to dim it down to get the shade of purple that you want. Not something recommended for the inexperienced saber smith.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    There are no purple high powered LEDs, they don't exist.

There are 2 ways to get a purple blades.

1.) Use a white LED and some kind of filter. This will not be as bright as a pure colored LED, because you are filtering out all the other wavelengths but the purple.

2.) Use an RGB LED or another type that has multiple colored dies. You wire up the blue and red dies, but since the red over-powers the blue, you have to resistor the red to dim it down to get the shade of purple that you want. Not something recommended for the inexperienced saber smith.
    Thanks. option 2 sounds better. I have a good bit of experience with electronics so it shouldn't be a problem. i am going to go get a test sink tube tomorrow to practice on. hope it turns out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Enab View Post
    If you want purple, they're discontinuing Luxeon IIIs on TCSS...
    Firstly, what do they have to do with purple
    Secondly, Lux 3's are being discontinued. Everywhere. They are being replaced with the much better Luxeon Rebel.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent