Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paper Mando

Default Paper Mando

Well like many other Star Wars fans I too caught the bug to build a mandalorian helmet. But instead of buying one for $60 or more dollars and then painting it I decided to go from the ground up. So poped over to the dented helmet and found templates for makeing a paper or cardboard base to start. Here's a link, http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forum...ints-Templates .
    And here is what I have so far.

I am sure there are a few people on here that have seen the templates before. I just did not find a refrence to them in searching. Going to coat it in fiberglass and resin after a coat of paper mache for a little strength. Figure it doesnt get any more custom then this. Will also keep a running tab on cost so if any one else wants to try it they know what they are looking at monetarily.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Cool stuff...I had caught wind of these templates before and was thinking of doing a mando once my Jedi robes are done. I've been busy with saber builds so I'll be lucky to have the robes done by Halloween since I want to be authentic. I was looking at the mandomercs site and was really inspired by Hydra's mando costumes. It's cool to see how many different approaches there are to making helmets.

Another costume I want to do is Leia's outfit in the Endor scenes

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Goltor Bias. your bug is contagious. I just got those templates and I plan on doing one now too. Great so far by the way!

i've been thinking about doing a mando suit myself.....the bug is def contagious..

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Quote Originally Posted by jin starkiller View Post
    the bug is def contagious..
    see? told ya!

I know it's been a while since I started this post, but I figured I started it I should show the end result and the progress shots. You saw how it satrted now this is where it went.
    Paper mache and a bit of cardboard.

Bondo on dome.

Fiberglass coats.

Now for the second half of th post, wanted to break it up so it wasn't so long.
    Primer coat.

Paint.
    Base coat Krylon matt aluminum.

And paint complete with matt black and krylon extrem metals red.

And the completed helmet.

looking good...you plan on making the whole armor to go with that helmet

also what did you use to make the antenna
    Last edited by jin starkiller; 09-07-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Going to try and do the hole thng just going to be a while. for the antena it is aluminum from the hardware store and the range fider thingy is from a hasbro clone helmet.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Very nice job. I have not had the courage to try to make one from scratch yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I was looking at the mandomercs site and was really inspired by Hydra's mando costumes. It's cool to see how many different approaches there are to making helmets.
    I got to meet Hydra in person at DragonCon and she is a very talented person. She has done some awesome work. Plus, she is super nice and friendly too.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php