Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saber Question from the new Old Republic Trailer

Default Saber Question from the new Old Republic Trailer

In the new Star Wars Old Republic trailer that they released at E3, there is a point where a female Jedi "catches" the saber, and prevents it from stabbing her. Now there is a shot where I see the blade of the lightsaber itself, begin to 'crack' and 'fall off' as if it was previously frozen and began to melt. Does anyone have any clue whats going on to the saber there? I've heard several answers such as "an unstable crystal" or something having to do with the fact the saber is unstable because of the sith wielding it (Which doesn't sound right at all.)

If you have an answer, please post? Also source the information you got your answer from if possible so that I may read more. Thanks!

If you haven't seen it quite yet, here is the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGvAJ6-SsY

around time 3:37-3:41

Regards,
    Shane

I am not sure, but I remember in a star wars comic series that explored alternate story lines, and one was how Leia went to Degobah instead of Luke. There something happened and she blocked a blaster bolt with her hand out of pure reaction. Yoda told her that some Jedi had this ability, but it was rare. There could also be a variation of this power dealing with lightsabers.

Just a thought.

I was also thinking the same thing as to how she 'caught' the blade. Force power of deflection and such perhaps? I believe its what Vader did when Han Solo attempted to shoot him in ESB. I was wondering what was happening to the actual blade though. Something was turning the blade (light) into a solid substance.

Rafalema:

I chalk it up to creative bul... license.

In other words, should she have been able to block the blade using the force and having said "force" be mere millimeters from the palm of her hand? Sure. Should the blade have been shortened or it's appearance distorted in any way? Hell no. Therefore I choose to disregard certain parts of that scene as not possible in the Star Wars universe. Still looks cool though.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Let the amature scientism to make up for SW impossibilities begin

What i think should be a pretty good technique would be to actually absorb/redirect
    the energy, instead of blocking it like she did.
    I mean, plasma being shot out, absorb it, drain the battery, and poof! Empty saber...

But that aside, a scientistic explanation for what happened in the trailer
    could be that the plasma ejected from the saber gets blocked, heaps up,
    and, with plasma still being particles, higher pressure might make it solidify.

As it heaps up, it gets pushed out of the magnetic field, and i falls down.

My preliminary two cents

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

She is using the ability known as force absorb (you can check it out on wookiepedia.com). Certain jedi have the ability to absorb various forms of energy. Yoda had it, as well as Corran Horn. Corran actually did absorb the energy from a lightsaber once as a relatively new knight. Makes sense that a master could do it with a bit more ease. The absorbed energy augmented the female jedi's telekinetic blasts at the end of the trailer. Just my 2 cents.

I myself wondered "what's with the blade cracking...its ENERGY..." but i was too caught up in the coolness that followed to worry about it too much
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

It's those cheap synthetic crystals the Sith use.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    It's those cheap synthetic crystals the Sith use.
    AHAHAH! QFT!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...