Thread: Using a saber as a spotlight

Default Using a saber as a spotlight

My local troupe needs a spotlight; and I intend to make the electronics of a hilt anyway...I'm toying with the idea of getting a second optics lens, mounting the hilt temporarily to a ring stand and a couple servos from a model airplane, and using that, but I'm curious what potential pitfalls I should look out for: apparently a Seoul P4 without a plug can blind the unwary from across the room, and that's no good...but if I put a filter over it, it won't really be a spotlight, will it? I'm not too worried about power consumption, if it comes to it I can always use a quick connect to swap out the batteries, gut and jack into a transformer/wall wart, and have all the DC I want...probably gonna go 6 wire 1000mA buckpuck with a POT so I can dim it as necessary....

(JLo, I apologize for the preceding run-on sentence)
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

P4 white at 1000 mA is not enough bright to blind you.

But how big targets you want to light up with it?

I think that you are over-estimating it's brightness.

you are going to need something bigger than a saber hilt for a spot light.

Look here

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...isplay.php?f=7

@_@

Even for a bar that's about 20x50'? I mean yeah for a major auditorium you need the serious wattage...but I haven't really played around with 240 lumens, so I'm curious how ridiculously bright it's going to be.
    Last edited by Tyhm; 06-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?