Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: chassis and chamber, rods and tubes?

for me.. I use whatever I need for the project..

what looks good..and fits best..

I use larger OD threaded rod if it needs to be more rigid.. but for crystal chambers it doesnt need to be too much (depends on your design I suppose)

for my applications.. I use whateve OD rod that fits the best.. (that are basically just standoffs/spacers)..the rod runs 1 single piece from top to bottom..

I then grab whatever threaded rod fits best inside the brass tube.. if you need space..you may be able to snake a wire or so along side the threaded rod.. up to your design..

you can get threaded rod in pre-cut lenths from ACE...etc but also places liek HomeDepot/Lowes also carry threaded rd in LONG length..so you can cut to you desired length..

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    I usually go to a local hardware store called Ace Hardware. I have 2 stores close to me and one carries everything you can think of but the other one doesn't carry much in brass rod and tubing. I can get all different sizes of the brass tubing and rod and also get it in aluminum. They also carry tons of small nuts and threaded rod and nylon spacers and many many more things that work for making chassis. I till take a pic of what I got on my last visit with my crappy camera. LOL
    Yep, thats where I got my pieces for my interior chasis. I was planing on posting some pics to nite.

I used 4/40 threaded rod (for the blade holder) Then a solid steel washer, from there I graduated to 6/32 threaded rod, with the aluminium rods (6/32 inside thread) screwed down over them. Overall I have plenty of room for my crystal chamber battery and SB.
    Like I said, I'm posting more pics later.

I'm surprised at how many parts I could actually find on ebay. The other stuff I can find in town, but the 2" of 1-1/8 (1.125") thin walled brass tube may be more difficult.

These links are all very helpful but finding the exact size you need and ordering it are not easy. I will definitely make use of them in the future when I have more time and space to work with in my chrystal chamber. It's so small that I need to shave everything down to fit. I have one serious chassis design for a future build that I'm refining and I'll use these sites for sure then. I probably won't do that build for a little while. After finishing off my sabers 3 through 5, I think I'm going to take a break for a few months and work on my Jedi robes. Then onto some CRAZY chassis work!

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 06-25-2010 at 08:03 PM.

I'm surprised at how many parts I could actually find on ebay. The other stuff I can find in town, but the 2" of 1-1/8 (1.125") thin walled brass tube may be more difficult.
    Hardware stores usually have 1.5 & 1.25 brass sink tube. If it's for the interior make 2 in section & cut a strip down the side.

I did consider that option until I found that size tube online except they don't ship to Canada. It's for a visible part of my crystal chamber for a CF saber so it really should be perfect.

We can get them here int he states... so get a buddy to send you some.

I got mine at Lowes.. 2- 6 in. thin wall brass tubing.. (for Obi-Dar along time ago..and he never 'got' them from me).. so I know we have them here =)

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    I got mine at Lowes.. 2- 6 in. thin wall brass tubing.. (
    Where?!?

I spent 30 minutes the other day in Lowes looking for brass tubing because the employies were hiding from me.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Just at my Lowes..

(mines still in package..cause liek I said it was for someone else initially) lol

Package:

The Keeney Manufacturing Company & Duracraft Plastics, Inc

12BPK
    Extension Tube
    Inlet 1 1/4" Length 6"
    Slip Joint With Brass Nut
    Polished Brass FInish

I suppose I could get teh barcode/sku# too..

1.5" and 1.25 " is easy to find.

I want 1 1/8" (1.125"). I have found it but they won't ship to Canada.

Hobby Lobby is a good place to get brass tubes to fit all different threaded rods.
    They ship internationally if you call them.
    edit: They have sizes under 1".
    Last edited by Rathan; 06-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.