Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MagLite blade holders please help

Default MagLite blade holders please help

Hello...At the moment I don't have $100 to spend on making a lightsaber so I was wondering how good these sabers made with the maglite are compared to an EL saber or $100 LED saber.

Maglite as in Security Guard Flashlight? I don't have the lumens data on those (nor of the LED Conversion Kits you can get for 'em at Walmart), but the lens is gonna be all wrong, and it's not gonna be as bright with the wrong lens. Still, if you wanna go cheap, feel free; there's always the challenge of making the Cheapest Possible "Lightsaber". You can get T8 or T12 fluorescent light bulb covers at Home Depot for about $3, if you have a "Most Everything's $1.00" store in your area you can get Clear Gift Wrap and Mylar Gift Wrap to diffuse the light in the blade a little more (optionally, there's some controversy to whether or not this helps!) and reflect the light back down from the top so it doesn't all shoot back down; it's theoretically possible to melt the tip into a nice spheroid with a paint stripper ($20, Walmart), though I haven't played much with 1000 degree melting plastic myself; might be better off using a 25 cent machine capsule cut and glued to fit the tip. And you can dye the polycarbonate tube with RIT dye and about 16 oz of acetone diluted in water, just use some $2 rubber stoppers (also from Home Depot) to block up the ends until it sets.

But Maglites are about $50 anyway, so I'm not sure you'd even end up saving anything, and you'd have a lightsaber that wasn't very custom and didn't look very lightsabery. It's an interesting challenge I suppose, but it'd be cheaper to eBay a Hasbro.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Umm... Tyhm.
    Try clicking here.

Yes, the maglite bladeholders work well (because they're from TCSS )

Do a search, there are some reviews on them around. Good luck with your lightsaber.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Ha, yeah, realized that existed right after I posted. Oh well. Looks better than expected.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I already spoon fed him 3 links to related threads, because he started another thread about this exact same thing in the Misc. section.

Shame on him for starting 2 threads in 2 different spots, and shame on you guys for not seeing that one, too.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I would like to know though, what "controversy" is there about blade film helping? After making 100's of blades, I can say with some authority that Poly-P/Cello wrap inside a blade tube absolutely helps make a very even and bright blade.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    I would like to know though, what "controversy" is there about blade film helping? After making 100's of blades, I can say with some authority that Poly-P/Cello wrap inside a blade tube absolutely helps make a very even and bright blade.
    Went back, you're right. TimeRender said something about filling the blade with celophane won't do any good in the Black Blade debate, but he was talking about something else.

I've made about 5 partial blades, and I think it helps too. Though I've had to test it with my Maglite (Ha! Irony!) in the absence of actual blade electronics...

Oh ok thanks a lot guys and sorry about starting two threads about the same thing I couldn't find the first thread I posted so I was just like "what the heck i'll just make another one."

Well also for cheapness I thought about just buying one of those $15 cheapos from walmart that lights up and stuff and then taking the plastic blade off and attaching a PolyC blade. I know the hilt would be all plastic and crappy but I guess i could battle with it.

well whenever I added everything off of here to my cart it wound up being $70 with the shipping and i already have a maglite so i dont know i may just buy one
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 06-25-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Yeah, the Walmart cheapo lightup sabers aren't Maglites...considerable difference between their dollar-store quality flashlights and their pro-level maglites.

Quote Originally Posted by oobie doobie kedoobie View Post
    Well also for cheapness I thought about just buying one of those $15 cheapos from walmart that lights up and stuff and then taking the plastic blade off and attaching a PolyC blade. I know the hilt would be all plastic and crappy but I guess i could battle with it.
    Obviously I don't know what financial situation you're in, but, if you can even consider doing that and calling it a custom lightsaber... why are you here?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent