Thread: Hello everybody !!

Default Hello everybody !!

I just wanted to spend few words here to introduce myself after joining the forum.

First of all I have to say that some times ago I stumbled by pure luck on your website and I don't even remember what brought me here, but reading trough the tons of good information available here I rapidly grew addicted to the idea of building my own custom saber.

Currently I'm in the planning phase and I already put my hands on a Hasbro electronic saber, which is going to be dissected very soon to extract the sound board.

Regarding myself, I'm from Italy and I have some experience in scale modeling and electronics, so I hope I will be able to contribute here in some way.

Bye for now.

Welcome. What kind of saber will you make?

Well, the hilt will be made of MHS parts, I already have a general idea of its build.

Regarding the electronics I think I will use a Seul P4 driven from the Hasbro sound board and a buckpuck. I'm also interested in the RGB LED's cause they should give you more options in terms of blade color but I think I will stick to a simpler solution for my first attempt.

Regarding the batteries, initially I was considering rechargable NiMH or even Lithium cells since I did a couple of custom battery backs in the past, but after some more thinking I will probably go for standard expendable cells. After all this will be primarily a show saber.

Have you considered the options of upgrading the power source as you go along? Never too early to think about putting a quick-connect in there; expendables for a good backup, rechargables when you're up to it and when you've gotta keep it lit for a long time on the cheap...
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Perhaps this would be a good compromise between the two solutions.

However I guess I will need to make some more precise calculations if I choose to go for a build that will accept both standard and rechargeable batteries.

Considering compatile form factors (AA, AAA), normally standard batteries give 1.5 V and rechargeable 1.2 V so using rechargeable batteries could drop the pack voltage quite a bit, for example 0.9 V for a 3 cells pack or 1,2 V for a 4 cells pack.

A possible solution could be to build the pack with some voltage in access using one cell more than required and powering the board trough a voltage stabilizer chip (like a good old 7805 or similar) that could keep the voltage supplied to the board at the preferred value ... I remember reading something about fried sound boards ...

I bet I need to plan a lot more and keep reading and any suggestion will be very welcome.

Ooh, that'd be a good use for a Dummy Cell. Our fearless leader sells them under Batteries; if using alkaline, use 4 real and 1 dummy to get 6v out of 5 cells, if using NiMH use 5 real to get 6v out of 5 cells. A little awkward to set up a 5 battery clip, but...
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

If you're interested in using a Force FX soundboard, then you can use a 4.8v pack (which I would recommend for them) and a 6v pack. But e careful not to give it anything over 6v.

Anyway, in that case you could pretty much switch between the two of them at will. Make the battery holder easy to access and no recharge port needed.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent