Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual blade- one sound card?

Default Dual blade- one sound card?

If I run two blades in one saber with one sound card how would I lay that out? Would I have to wire it to both or just to one? If I wire it to one would it sound dumb with two blades?

When 900 years old you reach... Look this good you will not- Yoda

My guess is that you'd want one led running off of the soundboard and the other running off of a buckpuck/similiar driver. This is assuming that you're using something like a Hasbro/MRFX soundcard. Depending on where you mount the soundboard (or not?) the only thing that might sound slightly off is the clash effect. But, it might not be a big deal as the clash sensor
    isn't directly tied to any blade per se.

If you're going to use a soundboard that has any kind of flicker (Ultrasound on anything but setting 1) or an economy Hasbro (flash on startup/clash) then obviously it'll look a little uneven.

That's the easiest thing I can think of. I'm sure someone with more experience could chime in.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll need to use a DPDT switch.
    Last edited by Shadeslinger; 06-13-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added comment

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you use a MR/Hasbro FX they put out around 1200 mA and you could get 2 P4 LEDs, one for each side and run them in parallel straight from the board. The P4s run good even at lower currents so you would be feeding each P4 around 600 mA. I have used P4s with the older hasbro economy boards and they only put out around 350 mA. That would be the easiest way to do it.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

IF your soundboard doesnt support high voltage [like MR or Hasbro FX boards dont] then you can use a lower voltage [like 4.8v NIMH] battery pack and wire two LuxIII/P4 class LEDs in parallel...the voltage will remain unchanged so each LuxIII/P4 LED gets enough to run but the current [milliAmps] will be divided in half so the two LEDs may not be at full brightness particularly with 'Dark Side' colours that want more amperage than the ~1000mA FX boards 'nominally' supply [in actual application this varies somewhat with different FX board models and battery solutions supplying varying maximum currents though - if you choose this path more searching and reading you must do to make wise choices]

IF your soundboard supports high voltages [like UltraSound or CrystalFocus do] you can use a higher voltage [like 7.2V li-ion] battery pack and wire two LuxIII/P4 class LEDs in series; the voltage will be divided in half so each LuxIII/P4 LED gets enough to run but current will remain unchanged with both LEDs getting the full current the board can output [which can be selected with US and CF] to maximize brightness.

It will sound the same as a single saber assuming you have a vent in the middle to allow sound to escape since you will normally use one speaker if you are using one card to run two blades in a permanent staff configuration...of course to use one soundcard to run two blades means you sacrifice the ability to separate the staff into two sabers and dual wield...if you want to do that you will need two soundboards for both to have sound when detached. Just my opinion but I would not recommend a noob try to begin with a staff unless you really want to take a lot of time to really understand the complications involved before building...but its your choice and MTFBWY.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 06-13-2010 at 03:11 PM.

I do want the hilt to seperate into two pieces so I assume the running two p4s off one board would eliminate that.

The soundboard to led isn't complicated set up. As long as it wouldn't sound uneven when attatched I'd sacrafice sound on one saber when detatched in favor of an easier wiring configuration.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you want it to split apart then you would have to have a seperate power source, LED and switch for each side. And if you want sound for both sides you would have to have 2 sound boards too.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

So i build two sabers... and connect them together. There has to be a more creative solution.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If the sabers seperate you have to have power to both sabers somehow. No matter what each LED has to have a power source. For one saber, if you don't really want sound, you could just have a LED with a battery pack and switch and use wither a resistor or buckpuck to regulate the power to the LED. On the one with sound most sound cards (other than the economy cards) will regulate the power.

How bout a way to have 2 soundcards installed and when connected only one runs, but seperated both do.